"The last time I saw Paris..." Paris by themajor

Paris Travel Guide: 22,630 reviews and 55,564 photos

French bred? Sadly not...

It's hard to talk about Paris without stumbling into cliché but having used my first acute accent in record time let me answer the question posed above. Although it dates from nothing weightier than a 1950's Elizabeth Taylor flic (ahem, a totally different meaning in french) this expression evokes part of the romantic Parisian dream honed by Offenbach and his operettas, carried by soldiers returning from two world wars, and polished to perfection by Gene Kelley and countless Hollywood films. The last time I saw Paris was in May 2009. The last time before that? Never!

This all comes from living on the English coast slap opposite our chums in La Belle France. It was so - 'er, relatively - close that it was always put on the back-burner when it came to holidays. We could go there anytime! But we never did. Up to this point,my last dip into France had been a school day trip to Dieppe in 1971. We went to see the castle but the teachers had failed to do their research (pre internet days my friends!) and it was shut. But we were happy and fenced gaily with baguettes as the ferry slowly ploughed back to port.

Un sot trouve toujours un plus sot qui l'admire.

Of course I had come to Paris in search of it's culture. Historical, musical, artistic. I wanted it all! But preferably not an artist's garret. No. What I wanted was all the experience but none of the poverty and disappointment...I have quite enough of that at home! As I didn't have time to rattle off a first novel, I contended myself with putting on my louche dressing gown, donning my 'intelligent look' spectacles, sucking knowingly at my pen and producing some of the funniest and finest postcards the world has ever received. Honestly. Next time I'll send you one...

Croissant my heart and hope to die

So come with me now as we stroll along the boulevards, berets aloft and our pockets full of escargots. Well perhaps not as there are quite a few gendarmes knocking around at the moment. Parles-vous français? Non? Then we shall speak in english...

• Last visit to Paris: May 2009
  • Intro Updated Sep 30, 2010

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2011 at 5:45 PM

C'est magnifique, le Major. You have style, sir.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Now I just have to decide if "swish" is good! since it's delightful, I assume yes. :-)

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2010 at 1:46 PM

wow, a 'major'new page. wonders indeed. you seem to be a bit soft on the french...still I guess diplomacy is part of you reportoir

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2010 at 2:59 AM

Nice page mate. Very well written.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Great place for a silver wedding anniversary! And I'm glad you went over by EuroStar. I haven't gone up the Eiffel Tower since Wednesday, October 26, 1966.

• Sep 28, 2010 at 4:01 AM

you fence with baguettes, i practice judo with llamas. no difference really.

• alza's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Hi Major, Nick, Very good review, thank you. Guest lobby is inviting, bedroom rather ... surprising! Like they tried to honour you with some French Liberty! :) Congratulations on your Silver Anniversary.

themajor

“The Eccentric Englishman Preservation Society”

Badges & Stats in Paris