"NYC Impressions" New York City by cheap_tourist
New York City Travel Guide: 15,917 reviews and 32,120 photos
New York City was outside of my radar for a very long time. I thought that visiting it would be very complicated. Looking at the subway system map filled me with trepidation. I didn't even know what "Manhattan" is; I just knew that it had something to do with New York.
Anyway, some months back, I realized that I still had a one-week vacation coming to me. I also had accumulated enough miles in my credit card for a round-trip ticket anywhere in the United States. The more I thought about it, the more a vacation to New York City made sense. After all, I have not been to the East Coast at all, and I feel that my travel pages have this one huge void called The Big Apple.
After reading several travel books and looking at the map, however, I gained the confidence to proceed to the next step: actually planning the trip. I got permission to go on vacation on the fourth week of October, got my plane tickets, made a reservation for one week at a hostel, and filled out my itinerary. I bought several tickets online to make sure that no monkey wrench is thrown into my plan.
When I finally made the trip, everything turned out like clockwork. It didn't rain. It was cool, which made it easier to walk. The tickets I got online also helped me to experience New York without hassles.
These are my impressions of New York City:
- I felt very safe there even when I was traveling alone at night.
- I didn't see any big rats running around the streets.
- New Yorkers seem to be nice people. I'm sure I bothered some people while I was taking pictures but I never sensed anything negative. I also asked several New Yorkers for directions, and they were very helpful.
- New Yorkers jaywalk a lot.
- The city was not as dirty as portrayed in some movies.
- The atmosphere was electric...like something exciting was always just around the corner.
- The attractions are world-class.
- New York City cops look like Regular Joes, not like our buffed LAPD cops, but they are everywhere and they definitely make the city safe. Kudos to them!
- The variety of food is simply amazing.
- When ordering food, it's "To stay." instead of L.A.'s "For here." It's "To go." in both places, however.
I am glad that I made that trip and learned a lot about New York City. It is indeed "the greatest city in the world." I'll be sure to visit again.
cheap_tourist's Related Pages
New York City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A NYC GYPSY AT HEART"
- "NYC: Everyday, Something new."
- "I Heart New York."
- ""I want to be a part of it ...""
- ". : New York City : ."
- "New York City"
- "Oh, how I want to be a part of it!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New York City
- Hotels in New York City
- Transportation in New York City
- Nightlife in New York City
- Restaurants in New York City
- Shopping in New York City
- Warnings and Dangers in New York City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New York City
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to New York City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New York City
Top 10 Pages
- Los Angeles Intro, 26 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 27 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Seattle Intro, 7 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 3 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Santa Barbara Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 10 reviews, 10 photos
- Sacramento Intro, 10 reviews, 10 photos
- Portland Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Juneau Intro, 15 photos, 2 travelogues