"NYC Impressions" New York City by cheap_tourist

New York City Travel Guide: 15,768 reviews and 31,642 photos

I (Heart) New York

New York City was outside of my radar for a very long time. I thought that visiting it would be very complicated. Looking at the subway system map filled me with trepidation. I didn't even know what "Manhattan" is; I just knew that it had something to do with New York.

Anyway, some months back, I realized that I still had a one-week vacation coming to me. I also had accumulated enough miles in my credit card for a round-trip ticket anywhere in the United States. The more I thought about it, the more a vacation to New York City made sense. After all, I have not been to the East Coast at all, and I feel that my travel pages have this one huge void called The Big Apple.

After reading several travel books and looking at the map, however, I gained the confidence to proceed to the next step: actually planning the trip. I got permission to go on vacation on the fourth week of October, got my plane tickets, made a reservation for one week at a hostel, and filled out my itinerary. I bought several tickets online to make sure that no monkey wrench is thrown into my plan.

When I finally made the trip, everything turned out like clockwork. It didn't rain. It was cool, which made it easier to walk. The tickets I got online also helped me to experience New York without hassles.

These are my impressions of New York City:

- I felt very safe there even when I was traveling alone at night.
- I didn't see any big rats running around the streets.
- New Yorkers seem to be nice people. I'm sure I bothered some people while I was taking pictures but I never sensed anything negative. I also asked several New Yorkers for directions, and they were very helpful.
- New Yorkers jaywalk a lot.
- The city was not as dirty as portrayed in some movies.
- The atmosphere was electric...like something exciting was always just around the corner.
- The attractions are world-class.
- New York City cops look like Regular Joes, not like our buffed LAPD cops, but they are everywhere and they definitely make the city safe. Kudos to them!
- The variety of food is simply amazing.
- When ordering food, it's "To stay." instead of L.A.'s "For here." It's "To go." in both places, however.

I am glad that I made that trip and learned a lot about New York City. It is indeed "the greatest city in the world." I'll be sure to visit again.

• Last visit to New York City: Nov 2009
  • Intro Updated Dec 12, 2009

Comments

cheap_tourist

“Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.”

Badges & Stats in New York City

Have you been to New York City?

Latest Activity in New York City