"Hometown Proud" Owen Sound by n_a_drescher

Owen Sound Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 46 photos

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada

Nestled on the southern tip of the crystal-clear Georgian Bay, this small city of 20,000 people offers shopping, sightseeing, hiking, boating, fishing, hunting, eating, and the world-famous 'Summerfolk' festival where some of the greatest contemporary folk artists have played. Surrounding Owen Sound is Grey-Bruce County and the Bruce Peninsula, with hundreds of kilometres of green forests, small villages, and clean, clear beaches (Sauble Beach, Lion's Head, Port Elgin, Wasaga Beach). Its a definite place to go for the nature enthusiast, beware of the height of tourist season, though. All the cottages and campgrounds are usually gone by April.

• Pros:Quiet, removed from busy Southern Ontario, friendly attitudes, real maritime culture like in Nova Scotia, scenic, never too hot or too cold
  • Cons:Winter gets lots of snow, the thick, wet, 5 feet in one night kind of snow,
  • In a nutshell:I've seen most of Canada, and Owen Sound is not only my home town, but also one of the prettiest, most peaceful, and best places in the whole world.
  • Last visit to Owen Sound: May 2003
  • Intro Written Oct 11, 2003

• Oct 16, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Personally my opinion is that Owen Sound is a backwoods "third world" hick town where I've seen numerous pregnant 16-18 year olds playing Nevada Tickets in the local smoke shops instead of buying neccesities for their children.

• May 26, 2007 at 1:10 PM

The Harb Night Club: A young female audience that doesn't appreciate good classic rock and therefore all they play now is HIP HOP and DANCE! 15 yrs ago the Harb and even better; Beach Brothers was the best damn rockn, friendly bars I have ever been too!

• Tourtech's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2005 at 10:20 PM

thanks for taking the time to write about Owen Sound. We will be taking our parents from England to your hometown and we are looking forward to it. Safe travels from other travelling Canadians!

• MissAntarctica2002's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2004 at 12:19 PM

Nice to see a page on Owen Sound. I was there for a day this summer (we were looking at buying a property in Walters Falls), and I definitely want to see more of it.

n_a_drescher

“It's important to know what every culture likes to drink.”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Owen Sound

Have you been to Owen Sound?

Latest Activity in Owen Sound