"Washington DC and Virginia" Top 5 Page for this destination Washington by Suet

Washington Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 242 photos

Washington DC

Tues 4th May
Crawled out of bed at 6.00am, met up with Cmthomas at the Grosvenor Metro Station at 8.00am and took the train into DC (cost $2.50 single). Clarence was all organised and had tickets to the Washington Monument (www.nps.gov/nacc) all ready for us, THANKS Clarence! Roy was like a kid in a sweetie shop, rushing around the top of the Monument taking pics, oohing and aahing at the view. Mind you, it was pretty spectacular. Washington is a very open city, lots of green, big wide streets, full of things to see. For lunch/breakfast we had a hot dog by the Mall, it was disgusting! We took a Tourmobile (cost $20 each for the day), up to Arlington Cemetery (don't eat or drink on the bus!) which I found terribly sad. All those young people... all those gravestones... after that, we managed to get to several museums, this part was called "Culturing Clarence" as Roy and I discussed paintings and styles. Actually I think Clarence was educating me all day long. He is an interesting man to talk with, a whole lifetime of experiences and information to share. Got into Clarence's biiiiiiiig car, nice car baby!..Had a very filling dinner at Chilis restaurant. Eh. Can Roy EAT or what???? I just don't know where he puts it all. The size of the onion!

Watch out for 14th Street, where then you could see Supergirl, Batgirl, and any other girl you might like to hook up with.... for a price of course....

Air and Space Musuem

Highlight of the day for me was the Air and Space Museum, love all that spacey stuff! and the IMAX theatre was just amazing!!! Very bad pic of us wearing glasses on cmthomas's page! Had another hot dog there which was a little better ie less than awful.

Cars and stuff

I like big cars!!! we hired a Gran Fury Mark III to transport all our goods from the airport to Bethesda in 1977, it was so big, we could sit five people on the front seat!!! However, the first car I managed to get hold of was a Chevrolet, ARP 081. Didn't like the colour particularly, but after driving an MG Midget sports car, it was like manoeuvering a football field around town.....

• Pros:Big wide streets, friendly people, biiiiiiiiig cars, easy to find your way around via the "street grid" plan of the town
  • Cons:um... guns I think. Witnessed a shooting in the first week which put me off a bit
  • In a nutshell:Go for it, but stick to safe places
  • Last visit to Washington: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 20, 2007

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2011 at 11:07 AM

I enjoyed my short stay there, too, but missed lots of sights and the atmosphere.... What can one see being busy at a professional development seminar till 9 p.m. every day?...

• jto's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2006 at 2:20 AM

CHARLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEE!!

• Anchovy56's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2005 at 10:43 AM

Thanks, that chest is my treasure...

• TropicGirl77's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2005 at 11:20 AM

Alright ... don't choke, but I enjoyed my metro ride ... it was the first time I'd been on one .... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Gotta dash off ... just wanted to let you know that I struck your page!!! Will be back for more ~aloha chickie

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2004 at 12:16 PM

some nice little tips here festive best wishes, sourbugger

• Dumpymotel's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2004 at 6:25 AM

I wonder why they made the ceilings like that, in Washington subways?? There must be a reason right?? I once went to a concert hall was upside down chairs mounted on the ceiling.. damned immigrant laborers!!!!

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2004 at 8:05 AM

It sounds like you had a really good time in Washington. Its a fascinating city. I work here everyday.

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2004 at 7:37 PM

Wow Sueeeeee another great page , what a great day you had with Clarence & and your little hungry buddy Roy ,where does he put all that food eh ,well look at his tall leggs ,that's where most of the food goes hehe, Great page nice pictures Sue.

Suet Used To Live Here!

Suet

“Wear the Fox Hat!”

Badges & Stats in Washington

Have you been to Washington?

Latest Activity in Washington