"Washington DC and Virginia" Top 5 Page for this destination Washington by Suet
Washington Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 242 photos
Tues 4th May
Crawled out of bed at 6.00am, met up with Cmthomas at the Grosvenor Metro Station at 8.00am and took the train into DC (cost $2.50 single). Clarence was all organised and had tickets to the Washington Monument (www.nps.gov/nacc) all ready for us, THANKS Clarence! Roy was like a kid in a sweetie shop, rushing around the top of the Monument taking pics, oohing and aahing at the view. Mind you, it was pretty spectacular. Washington is a very open city, lots of green, big wide streets, full of things to see. For lunch/breakfast we had a hot dog by the Mall, it was disgusting! We took a Tourmobile (cost $20 each for the day), up to Arlington Cemetery (don't eat or drink on the bus!) which I found terribly sad. All those young people... all those gravestones... after that, we managed to get to several museums, this part was called "Culturing Clarence" as Roy and I discussed paintings and styles. Actually I think Clarence was educating me all day long. He is an interesting man to talk with, a whole lifetime of experiences and information to share. Got into Clarence's biiiiiiiig car, nice car baby!..Had a very filling dinner at Chilis restaurant. Eh. Can Roy EAT or what???? I just don't know where he puts it all. The size of the onion!
Watch out for 14th Street, where then you could see Supergirl, Batgirl, and any other girl you might like to hook up with.... for a price of course....
Highlight of the day for me was the Air and Space Museum, love all that spacey stuff! and the IMAX theatre was just amazing!!! Very bad pic of us wearing glasses on cmthomas's page! Had another hot dog there which was a little better ie less than awful.
I like big cars!!! we hired a Gran Fury Mark III to transport all our goods from the airport to Bethesda in 1977, it was so big, we could sit five people on the front seat!!! However, the first car I managed to get hold of was a Chevrolet, ARP 081. Didn't like the colour particularly, but after driving an MG Midget sports car, it was like manoeuvering a football field around town.....
- Pros:Big wide streets, friendly people, biiiiiiiiig cars, easy to find your way around via the "street grid" plan of the town
- Cons:um... guns I think. Witnessed a shooting in the first week which put me off a bit
- In a nutshell:Go for it, but stick to safe places
I first used this Metro in 1979 when it was brand new and viewed as the solution to Washington's traffic problems. It is... more travel advice
Apparently they built this the wrong way round when they were designing the city, eh what the hell, it looks pretty... more travel advice
Suet's Related Pages
Washington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The US Capital~"
- "Washington DC and Virginia"
- "Washington D.C."
- "Washington, DC"
- "Washington D.C"
- "Welcome to my city!"
- "Washington, DC"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Washington
- Hotels in Washington
- Transportation in Washington
- Nightlife in Washington
- Restaurants in Washington
- Shopping in Washington
- Warnings and Dangers in Washington
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Washington
- 7 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Washington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Washington
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 32 reviews, 94 photos
- Kenya Intro, 20 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Rochelle Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos
- New York City Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montpellier Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Sigomere Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amboise Intro, 7 reviews, 20 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 10 photos
- Honolulu Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Penicuik Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues