"Big Bend National Park" Big Bend National Park by Suet
Big Bend National Park Travel Guide: 176 reviews and 393 photos
I dutifully followed my very OLD friends' (from 1970) advice to visit this National Park on my way around Texas and the West. Jolly damn fine. I packed as for an African safari, water, food, blankets, GPS/Sat Nav, bog roll, torches, insect repellent, medical kit and sunglasses and hat. I wasn't far off. It was extremely hot (104oF) dry and no sign of a car coming the other way. Ah well, mad dogs and English women go out in the midday sun. I felt quite intrepid until the loneliness and the heat made me stop short and think. I am your average fair skinned, blue eyed, red haired sun shy monster. I felt like I was frying. OK June, hot Texas weather, I was wearing loose cotton clothing, sunglasses and a hat outside, but still it was very uncomfortable. I would NOT recommend you doing this trip in high summer. Pick Spring or Autumn or even Winter.
This is one of the more amazing desert plants. It's from the sisal family, also grown in Kenya as a crop for the plant fibres used to make baskets, mats and walls for the houses.
There it stood, alone, proud and defying the heat and drought to produce this incredible flower stalk.
You can't go wandering about here in the brush, it's forbidden as the ecosystem is very delicate. Most things are hanging on to life by a thread any way, so your size fourteen boots aren't going to help matters. Best to stay in your car and be glad there are still places like this on the planet where things are pristine and untouched.
You might also come across a snake or two and you are a long way from any help.
- Pros:It's clean, wide, fresh and untouched
- Cons:Bloody hot in summer and a long way from any help
- In a nutshell:I'd not travel there by myself again, a bit dicey
Oh yes! finally I saw them! visions of the old Wild West entered my head, the wagon trail, the attacking indians, the... more travel advice
You'd be completely mad to travel into this park without copious supplies of drinking water on board. The heat in summer... more travel advice
Suet's Related Pages
Big Bend National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful, wild and remote Western Texas!"
- "Basaic Big Bend National Park Page"
- "Big Bend National Park, Texas U.S.A."
- "Bending on the Border"
- "Underappreciated National Treasure"
- "Big Bend National Park"
- "Big Bend"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Big Bend National Park
- Hotels in Big Bend National Park
- Transportation in Big Bend National Park
- Nightlife in Big Bend National Park
- Restaurants in Big Bend National Park
- Shopping in Big Bend National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Big Bend National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Big Bend National Park
- 6 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Big Bend National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Big Bend National Park
Photos in Big Bend National ParkSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 32 reviews, 94 photos
- Kenya Intro, 20 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Rochelle Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos
- New York City Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montpellier Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Sigomere Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amboise Intro, 7 reviews, 20 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 10 photos
- Honolulu Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Penicuik Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues