"Big Bend National Park" Big Bend National Park by Suet

Big Bend National Park Travel Guide: 174 reviews and 387 photos

Big Bend

I dutifully followed my very OLD friends' (from 1970) advice to visit this National Park on my way around Texas and the West. Jolly damn fine. I packed as for an African safari, water, food, blankets, GPS/Sat Nav, bog roll, torches, insect repellent, medical kit and sunglasses and hat. I wasn't far off. It was extremely hot (104oF) dry and no sign of a car coming the other way. Ah well, mad dogs and English women go out in the midday sun. I felt quite intrepid until the loneliness and the heat made me stop short and think. I am your average fair skinned, blue eyed, red haired sun shy monster. I felt like I was frying. OK June, hot Texas weather, I was wearing loose cotton clothing, sunglasses and a hat outside, but still it was very uncomfortable. I would NOT recommend you doing this trip in high summer. Pick Spring or Autumn or even Winter.

Plants that amaze you

This is one of the more amazing desert plants. It's from the sisal family, also grown in Kenya as a crop for the plant fibres used to make baskets, mats and walls for the houses.

There it stood, alone, proud and defying the heat and drought to produce this incredible flower stalk.

View of the desert

You can't go wandering about here in the brush, it's forbidden as the ecosystem is very delicate. Most things are hanging on to life by a thread any way, so your size fourteen boots aren't going to help matters. Best to stay in your car and be glad there are still places like this on the planet where things are pristine and untouched.

You might also come across a snake or two and you are a long way from any help.

• Pros:It's clean, wide, fresh and untouched
  • Cons:Bloody hot in summer and a long way from any help
  • In a nutshell:I'd not travel there by myself again, a bit dicey
  • Last visit to Big Bend National Park: Jun 2009
  • Intro Updated Sep 22, 2009

Comments

Suet

“Wear the Fox Hat!”

Badges & Stats in Big Bend National Park

Have you been to Big Bend National Park?

Latest Activity in Big Bend National Park