"Small town of Clayton" Clayton by Suet
Clayton Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 13 photos
Clayton is a small town in New Mexico. I happened to pass through it quite by accident, looking for a place to stay the night. The town has approximately 2,000 people and it's getting smaller as people leave to find work. I stopped and chatted to lots of people and spent the 4th July there at a Rodeo.
I like this town. The people are friendly, they have a tradition and a history, they help each other out as much as possible and it seems like a safe place to grow up. The men are cowboys and the women are women.
The main street has lots of interesting shops, including an antiques shop where I bought a 1960's telephone, which works. I love the rotary phones and this is in pristine condition.
I attended the town barbecue of steak, corn, fries and soft drinks, all for $8.00 and spoke to many cowboys and ladies.
On 4th July they had a street parade in the morning before it got too hot and a rodeo in the evening which was VERY exciting. I never realised how much fun you can have with horses and sheep. They had a Mutton Rodeo where small children as young as two would cling to the large sheep's back for as long as possible. They bring them up tough in New Mexico.
- Pros:Very friendly people, lots of stories and old memories
- Cons:The town is getting smaller and smaller
- In a nutshell:Lovely town
I happened to be in Clayton on the 4th July, Independence Day, and was able to take part in the festivities. There was a... more travel advice
Suet's Related Pages
Clayton Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Clayton
- 3 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Clayton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Clayton
Photos in ClaytonSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 32 reviews, 94 photos
- Kenya Intro, 20 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Rochelle Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos
- New York City Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montpellier Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Sigomere Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amboise Intro, 7 reviews, 20 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 10 photos
- Honolulu Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Penicuik Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues