"Detroit to Washington in a Day" Detroit by Suet

Detroit Travel Guide: 671 reviews and 1,482 photos

Hiring a car

Mon 3rd May
Urghhhh! Another early start, poor Hans took us to Detroit to hire a car, and very kindly posted off the Canadian receipts so that we could claim back the tax for hotel and purchased goods, a useful tip to know if you are visiting. One thing worth knowing is that if you are trying to enter the States from Canada, the US customs want to know the ins and outs of a gnat?s bum, and YOU are the gnat. The Officer wanted passports, air tickets, details of our stay, details of departure dates, photos taken etc etc. have it all ready and to hand if you plan to do this. We hired the Ford Taurus from Hertz which was a brand new car, very comfy and roomy and easy to drive, two pedals, Stop and Start (cost of gas $1.819 per gallon to fill tank cost $21.37 at Sunoco).

Drive to Washington

Driving like a Woman With A Mission and ever mindful of Roy?s Schedule (that Schedule?. eeek!) we got from Detroit to Washington DC in a day, arriving happily by sheer chance at 5.30pm at my mate?s work offices. In fact it all fell into place so well, I managed a work out at his gym! Got all the kinks out from the long drive and had a lovely dinner?. Managed to get happily drunk and slept well.

Scenery from car on way to Washington DC

Although the drive took a whole day, driving in the States is fairly easy, you just have to have a good navigator, luckily I also had one that passed me junk food at regular intervals and played a good selection of music.... he didn't take bad pics either......

• Pros:Well, we didn't get to see much of it, just the skyline from Canada
  • Cons:None that I know of
  • In a nutshell:good for passing through
  • Last visit to Detroit: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Jun 28, 2004

Comments

Suet

“Wear the Fox Hat!”

Badges & Stats in Detroit

Have you been to Detroit?

Latest Activity in Detroit