"The Menin Gate" Ieper by Suet
Ieper Travel Guide: 524 reviews and 1,537 photos
We stopped off here to see the Menin Gate. I am not an historian by any imagination so I did not even know it existed, much to my shame.
It's huge. Inside, it's covered with the names of the soldiers who died and whose bodies were never found to put into a grave. It was an immensely sobering experience.
There is a shop nearby that organises visits to the Somme Valley to see the trenches dug into the earth to protect the soldiers. The trenches are cut in a zig zag pattern so if a bomb dropped into one, the blast would not travel down the trench as it would do if the trench was straight. I can only imagine that the design was changed to a zig zag after several deadly lessons were learned.
- Pros:It's good that we remember those who fought for us
- Cons:Difficult to get to and no where really to park
Suet's Related Pages
Ieper Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ieper (Ypres) touches all senses in extremes"
- "IEPER-YPRES EMOTIONS."
- "The Great War is never far away . . ."
- "A Living Memorial...and MORE!!"
- "Ieper - West of Flanders"
- "Ieper (Ypres)"
- "Wild West Vlaanderen Meeting April 21, 2007 Pt. 1"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ieper
- Hotels in Ieper
- Transportation in Ieper
- Nightlife in Ieper
- Restaurants in Ieper
- Shopping in Ieper
- Warnings and Dangers in Ieper
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ieper
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Ieper?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ieper
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 32 reviews, 94 photos
- Kenya Intro, 20 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Rochelle Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos
- New York City Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montpellier Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Sigomere Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amboise Intro, 7 reviews, 20 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 10 photos
- Honolulu Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Penicuik Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues