"Penicuik, the NON Tourist place....." Penicuik by Suet
Penicuik Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 23 photos
This is my local town although I live in Roslin village. It's just that Roslin, (despite the da Vinci Code and Chapel) are not on either Google Earth or VT!! so this will have to do.
It's a small place with all the local things you need like a supermarket, hairdressers, post office, umpteen pubs etc etc and a pedestrian precinct. It's pretty quiet though, lots of shops have closed down presumably due to high rents, and it has three charity shops which have a high turnover of customers. Not a lot of money in this town. I'd dearly like to see a huge cash injection into the place so that more jobs are created and more shops opened up. The latest development is that they are pulling down the large house/inn in the middle of the square! Oh such excitement! nothing has happened like this since a horse bolted down the high street!!!!
The Original Rosslyn Inn. This was the one they all stopped at for a pint when they piled off the carriages from Edinburgh to visit the Chapel. The slight drawback of the delightful outside beer garden, is that when the wind whips down the high street in the autumn, it can literally blow your glass off the table. Happened to a friend of mine.
Roslin is even smaller than Penicuik, a library, Post office, barber, SMALL supermarket and a Doctors and two pubs. The nice thing is that you can see the hills from the high street which gives a sense of space and freedom. It also give a clue as to when the next monsoon is about to strike the Village.
From my Cottage, if you trot down the steep hill, you eventually come to the Powdermill which was a gunpowder factory. It's a pretty walk with lots of nice spots to photograph. This is the weir where they held back the water to eventually rush down the mill race and power the big water wheel. Molly Dog scares the beejesus out of me by walking along the very EDGE of it like a cat.
- Pros:Pretty quiet town
- Cons:Too bloody quiet at times.....
- In a nutshell:Not a tourist place therefore prices are not high
This is a quiet Parish Church with a congregation of about 50 people. It's off the main road and set in a location in... more travel advice
This is the little known Powdermill which used to make gunpowder for the Napoleonic Wars. It was created in the 1800's... more travel advice
Written Sep 13, 2006
VT MEET Roslin September 2006
Written Mar 4, 2008
More VT meets
Suet's Related Pages
Penicuik Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Penicuik, the NON Tourist place....."
- "Roslyn, The Davinci Code, and my friend Suet"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Penicuik
- 4 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Penicuik?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Penicuik
Photos in PenicuikSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 32 reviews, 94 photos
- Kenya Intro, 20 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Rochelle Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos
- New York City Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montpellier Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Sigomere Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amboise Intro, 7 reviews, 20 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 10 photos
- Honolulu Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Penicuik Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues