"Sigomere" Sigomere by Suet
Sigomere Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 25 photos
A small town on the main Kisumu road in western Kenya. It boasts schools, cafes, hotels, shops, internet cafes, photocopying services, phone charging and airtime vouchers, a market and a health centre. It also has an ATM, a bank and a post office.
On the surface it looks a bit untidy, dusty and a bit higgledy piggledy, but on closer insepction, they have everything there. You just have to search a bit.
It's a friendly town, the Chief is Chief Victor Opodo and is a super chap. Usually, a Chief inherits the title or wins it by being the cleverest wisest man in the vilage or tribe, but here, Chief Victor had to be interviewed for the job. He is the man who will sort out your problems and ensure your safety and security. Best to contact him if you are coming to town as he will smooth your path and allay any local fears about why you are here. His assistant is Wilfred Anyiko and his sidekick is Crispin Alphonse. These gentlemen are very people friendly and well respected.
People are very freindly and want to come up to you and welcome you, say hello and shake your hand. The ladies are very nice and helpful if you want to know anything. They can show you where to shop and will advise on prices.
Children will follow you around and yell out HOW ARE YOU and MZUNGU. You are somewhat of an entertainment for them as not many foreigners get this far up country unless they are working or visiting for a meeting with the NGO's.
Get someone to walk around with you to translate and show you the place. People are naturally curious about why you are here in the first place, and it helps to have someone with you that they know. Taking pictures is permissible, but check with the Chief first so that he knows you are in town. News travels fast, but best to let people know in advance.
- Pros:Everything you need in a small town.
- Cons:Roads are dusty and have dangerous potholes
- In a nutshell:Worth a visit if you are working at the Health Centre
This local secondary school has accomodation for disabled children. These children are physically disabled but the... more travel advice
Be aware that as soon as people see your pretty white skin, the price can easily quaruple, particularly if you try and... more travel advice
Suet's Related Pages
Sigomere Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Sigomere
- Transportation in Sigomere
- Warnings and Dangers in Sigomere
- See All...
Explore the World
- Burano Hotels
- Bahía de Caráquez
- Cook Islands
- Camels Hump State Park Hotels
- Bora-Bora Hotels
- Santa Fe Hotels
- San Antonio Abad
- Pulau Bintan
- Idaho Falls
- Cornwall Hotels
- Fort Macon State Park Hotels
- Province of Ilocos Norte
Badges & Stats in Sigomere
- 7 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Sigomere?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sigomere
Photos in SigomereSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 32 reviews, 94 photos
- Kenya Intro, 20 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Rochelle Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos
- New York City Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montpellier Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Sigomere Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amboise Intro, 7 reviews, 20 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 10 photos
- Honolulu Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Penicuik Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues