"Montpellier, South of France" Top 5 Page for this destination Montpellier by Suet
Montpellier Travel Guide: 203 reviews and 618 photos
Montpellier is a beautiful town. The small narrow streets of the old town are a maze but quickly negotiated and present you with a treasure of photo opportunities and small shops that you never knew existed.
The main meeting place is the Place de la Comedie, a large marble paved area around which there are many cafes and hotels. The tram runs past there every few minutes in both directions and unfortunately sets your teeth on edge every time it negotiates the corner. I plan to rush out in the small hours of the morning with a can of WD40 and grease the tracks.
I love the cosmopolitan feel of the town, lots of tourists, small restaurants and cafes, a shopping mall and the various ethnic peoples who live here.
The town is well policed, safe and clean. I feel happy walking about in the small hours of the morning and the place is well lit.
There is a market on Wednesday in the area between Tourist Information building and Le Quorum, not a big market but they sell shoes, fabrics from North Africa, trinkets etc
Looks like something else is happening on this Thursday, lots of stalls being put up I shall post the pics.
I have met a lot of very gentle new age hippies here, hair twisted into Rasta tails, no money, happy to give, lots of friendly dogs, travellers in the best sense of the word. You can listen to some excellent and exceptional musicians playing for pennies on the streets and you can feed their dogs your leavings from the many excellent meals you have in the town.
The Rue Astruc takes you to the Promenade du Peyrou where you can walk about in the gardens and sit under trees. The Rue itself has many shops, interesting buildings and pretty side streets to explore and wander. Please do visit, you will not be disappointed.
- Pros:Free, easy and relaxed. Mostly pedestrian streets
- Cons:Sad to see the people on drugs and some neglected dogs
- In a nutshell:Very expensive prices in the shops, you can walk all day and be safe
A delightful and resonably priced restaurant. We were cutting cost at this point 11 may 2010 as we had been in... more travel advice
I just love the cafes in Montpellier, particularly when you can just stop for a quick drink before dinner and see what's... more travel advice
Suet's Related Pages
Montpellier Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Montpellier and surroundings"
- "The Secret World of Montpellier"
- "sandravdp's new Montpellier Page"
- "Montpellier, South of France"
- "My place!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montpellier
- Hotels in Montpellier
- Transportation in Montpellier
- Nightlife in Montpellier
- Restaurants in Montpellier
- Shopping in Montpellier
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Montpellier
- 9 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Montpellier?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montpellier
Photos in MontpellierSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 32 reviews, 94 photos
- Kenya Intro, 20 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Rochelle Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos
- New York City Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montpellier Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Sigomere Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amboise Intro, 7 reviews, 20 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 10 photos
- Honolulu Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Penicuik Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues