Los Angeles Shopping Tips by Erin74 Top 5 Page for this destination
Los Angeles Shopping: 175 reviews and 182 photos
Amoeba Music, Hollywood
Amoeba Music is an enormous music store located in the revamped Sunset and Vine area, next to the Cineramadome and Arclight Theatre. This may be the largest music store you'll ever see. It looks like an airport hanger (a two story airport hanger!)... and every inch is filled with CDs, tapes, records, DVDs, videos, posters, collectibles and all sorts of other great stuff.
Amoeba sells both new and used music and DVDs. Come in with an idea of what you'd like to buy, because starting blind is competely overwhelming. There is SO MUCH music here. You'll find everything from rock, hip hop and electronica to jazz and classical.
If you're interested in seeing some live music while you're in L.A., you'll find tons of fliers from local bands plastered on the walls near the entry. You can sell your used CDs and DVDs here, as well.
The store is open Mon-Sat 10:30-11 and Sunday 11-9.
Address: 6400 Sunset Blvd., Hollywood 90028
Directions: Near the intersection of Sunset and Vine.
The ridiculously popular Kitson has emerged as the favorite of the many adorable boutique shops that line Robertson Blvd. If it is trendy and cool, Kitson carries it and Britney Spears or Jessica Simpson have already been there and bought it. Paris Hilton is a regular here. This place is so popular with young celebs that the paparazzi are always staking out the area.
Kitson carries casual clothing for both men and women. They have a huge stock of "message t-shirts", trendy bags, shoes, designer jeans and more. They also sell an incredible range of accessories, gifts, cosmetics/beauty products and local souviniers.
What to buy: Thongs with your name spelled out in rhinestones. A t-shirt that says "Mrs. Pitt." Body lotions by Dirty Girl. This is the kind of fun stuff you'll find at Kitson.
The "California" and "Louisiana" pillows that Britney Spears' mom gave her for her wedding were purchased here. Basically, if it's "of the moment" or you saw it in InStyle Magazine, you can buy it here.
What to pay: The products range from $2 lip balms to $300 jeans. It just depends on what you want.
Address: 115 S. Robertson Dr.; Los Angeles, CA 90048
Directions: Just south of Beverly Bl.
Phone: (310) 859-2652
Theme: Women's Clothes
Larchmont Blvd. is located near the Hancock Park area of Los Angeles. The shopping area stretches for several blocks between 3rd Street and Beverly Drive. It's a charming shopping area dotted with coffee shops, cafes and antique stores. It's a great place to spend an hour or two wandering, window shopping and grabbing a bite to eat.
For lunch, check out Le Petit Greek, a great Greek restaurant with delicious dishes. If you just want coffee or a snack, try Starbucks or Noah's Bagels.
Hobin Blunt & Carlson has lovely antiques. You'll find all sorts of cute gifts at Pickett Fences. Landis General Store has lots of useful products. No matter what you are shopping for, you're bound to find it somewhere on Larchmont!
Directions: Located between 3rd Street and Beverly Dr., just a mile or two east of Highland Ave.
Pulp is perhaps the best greeting card and gift store in Los Angeles and a favorite among locals. It's a small shop, but packed full of good things. Here you'll find unique and artistic cards for all occasions, stationary, elegant wrapping papers (some so cool that I have framed them and hung them in my house! Like the vintage maps of Paris), books, journals and gifts. It's located in a great area that is fun for strolling and window shopping (lots of cafes and design/furniture stores). Come check out Pulp and enjoy their unique, quality goods.
What to pay: The prices are reasonable. Most of the greeting cards are $2-3. You can find more expensive things here too. The wrapping papers can be pricy, but they are just gorgeous.
Address: 456 S La Brea Ave.; Los Angeles, CA 90036
Directions: On La Brea, north of Wilshire.
Phone: (323) 937-3505
Fred Segal is a L.A. instution. There is a store located on Melrose Ave. at Crescent Heights and another store in Santa Monica (inexplicably, the stores have different owners and different products). I prefer the store in Santa Monica, which I think has a wider range of goods and is less snobby. Here's you'll find everything including designer clothing and shoes to accessories, gifts, cosmetic products (TONS of them), books, baby products, a salon, flowers and a cafe. Los Angelenos swear by this place. If you're a shopper, don't miss Fred Segal.
What to pay: This place can definitely be pricy, especially the clothing (and the Melrose store is more expensive, I think). But the beauty products and gifts are reasonably priced and you'll find some bargains here and there.
Address: 500 Broadway; Santa Monica CA 90401
Directions: At the corner of Broadway and 5th Street.
Phone: (310) 394-8989
Theme: Women's Clothes
More Reviews (59)
- See All Trendy Breakfast Scene: "Toast"
- See All The Standard Downtown: Hip and Modern
- You need a car to see Los Angeles!!!
- See All Academy Gallery (at Academy of Motion...
- What to wear in L.A.
Erin74's Related Pages
Los Angeles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles""
- "Getting at the Heart of L.A."
- "Coming to LA, see what all of SoCal has to offer!"
- "Los Angeles"
- "My Hometown: Los Angeles"
- "Gloss Angeles"
- "City of the Angels"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Los Angeles
- Hotels in Los Angeles
- Transportation in Los Angeles
- Nightlife in Los Angeles
- Restaurants in Los Angeles
- Shopping in Los Angeles
- Warnings and Dangers in Los Angeles
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Los Angeles
- 64 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 26 Forum posts
- 56 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Los Angeles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Los Angeles
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 64 reviews, 46 photos
- Paris Intro, 27 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Maui Intro, 33 reviews, 22 photos
- Rome Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 28 reviews, 16 photos
- Seattle Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 12 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Positano Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bear Lake Intro, 15 reviews, 7 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
- Universal Studios- 121 Reviews, 181 Photos
- Hollywood Walk of Fame- 61 Reviews, 97 Photos
- Venice Beach- 59 Reviews, 101 Photos
- Olvera Street- 61 Reviews, 152 Photos
- Disneyland- 59 Reviews, 82 Photos
- Star's Homes- 16 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Griffith Park Observatory- 24 Reviews, 39 Photos
- Warner Bros Studio Tour- 18 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Chinatown- 18 Reviews, 43 Photos
- Hollywood Sign- 34 Reviews, 37 Photos
See All Los Angeles Things to Do