"My Hometown: Los Angeles" Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles by Erin74
Los Angeles Travel Guide: 4,410 reviews and 8,874 photos
Los Angeles tends to get a bad rap from people who think of it as being full of shallow, beautiful people and not much else. Many people aren't sure what to see in Los Angeles aside from the obligatory theme parks and the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Well, I'm here to tell you that Los Angeles is a great place to live and to visit. The thing about Los Angeles is that it's not like New York. You won't discover it by just walking down the street. You have to dig a little deeper, ask a few more questions, and be open to exploring the nooks and crannies of the area.
Los Angeles is a very young city. When you talk about something "historical" in Los Angeles, you're probably talking about the 1920s. While there are still many examples of fine art deco architecture in L.A., its real history is not to be found in buildings. Los Angeles was built on oil, shipping and movies. People came here chasing a dream and built lives that reflected those dreams. As you drive around Los Angeles (and you must drive), look carefully for all the little oddities. Talk to people on the street (we're pretty friendly) and see what they have to say. Check out the museums and the old movie houses. Explore. This is the real L.A.--- you won't find it at Universal Studios.
Best Fine Dining:
Best pedestrian shopping areas:
3rd Street Promenade
The Grove (at the Farmer's Market)
LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art)
The Getty Center (for the architecture and views)
Best Movie Theatres:
Mann's Chinese Theatre (enormous theatre with elaborate decor and a huge screen)
Grove 14 (Stadium-style seating in a well-designed theatre)
Best specialty theatres:
The New Beverly (run down theatre with bad prints.. but where else can you see a double feature of Apocalypse Now and The Godfather for $5?)
The Silent Movie Theatre (See my page on this for more details-- it's a truly unique place!)
Most Luxurious Hotels:
The Regent Beverly Wilshire
The Ritz Carlton (Pasadena and Marina Del Rey)
Most central and convenient areas to stay in if you're visiting L.A.:
Best Hotels at the Beach:
Shutters on the Beach
Casa Del Mar
Burke Williams Day Spa (in Santa Monica and West Hollywood)
Rooftop Bar at the Standard Downtown
Best Live Music:
The Hollywood Bowl
Best Places to take Kids:
Disneyland (not technically in L.A.-- it's an hour south)
The California Science Center
Aquarium of the Pacific (also not in L.A.-- it's in Long Beach, about 40 min. south)
Best Place to Get Tickets to TV Show Tapings:
Audiences Unlimited (818-753-3470)
Best "haunted" sights:
The Pantages Theatre (supposedly haunted by Howard Hughes)
Chateau Marmont (supposedly John Belushi)
The Knickerbocker Hotel (supposedly haunted by Rudolph Valentino, Marilyn Monroe and Harry Houdini)
Points of Architectural Interest:
The Getty Center
Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels
- Pros:Great weather, good shopping, lots of diversity, great cultural events/activities, excellent dining, friendly people.
- Cons:Traffic, traffic, traffic.
The ridiculously popular Kitson has emerged as the favorite of the many adorable boutique shops that line Robertson... more travel advice
The La Brea Tar Pits are a unique L.A. sight that's worth checking out while you're in town. Situated right next to the... more travel advice
- See All Trendy Breakfast Scene: "Toast"
- See All The Standard Downtown: Hip and Modern
- You need a car to see Los Angeles!!!
- What to wear in L.A.
- See All Forty Deuce
Erin74's Related Pages
Los Angeles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Getting at the Heart of L.A."
- ""El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles""
- "Coming to LA, see what all of SoCal has to offer!"
- "Los Angeles"
- "My Hometown: Los Angeles"
- "Gloss Angeles"
- "City of the Angels"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Los Angeles
- Hotels in Los Angeles
- Transportation in Los Angeles
- Nightlife in Los Angeles
- Restaurants in Los Angeles
- Shopping in Los Angeles
- Warnings and Dangers in Los Angeles
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Los Angeles
- 64 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 26 Forum posts
- 61 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Los Angeles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Los Angeles
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 64 reviews, 46 photos
- Paris Intro, 27 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Maui Intro, 33 reviews, 22 photos
- Rome Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 28 reviews, 16 photos
- Seattle Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 12 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Positano Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bear Lake Intro, 15 reviews, 7 photos