"Pompeii" Pompeii by Erin74
Pompeii Travel Guide: 980 reviews and 2,702 photos
Pompeii was once a thriving merchant town located in a beautiful setting on the western coast of Italy. In 79 A.D. the neighboring volcano Mt. Vesuvius, erupted and buried the towns of Herculaneum and Pompeii. A blanket of ash fifteen to twenty feet deep descended on the area. Pompeii's people and magnificent buildings were destroyed.
For hundreds of years the city was buried under ash. When an excavation finally began in 1595, the remains of about 2,000 people were found encased in ash. The remnants of the city were then heavily looted and left uncovered and neglected. Modern excavations have restored the city and you can now take tours of the area.
Visiting Pompeii is at once fascinating and strange. It's clear that this was a grand and thriving city in its day. Seeing it empty and frozen in time is haunting. I arrived at Pompeii late in the day, when most of the tourists had left. Pompeii's streets were quiet and deserted. I took a brief but highly enjoyable walk through the ruined streets of the city. This was one of the most memorable moments of my trip to Italy.
There are several locations in Pompeii where you will see remnants of ancient grocery stores. What remains of them are... more travel advice
There were two theatres in ancient Pompeii, one larger and one smaller. The Great Theatre: Located on the northeast... more travel advice
Erin74's Related Pages
Pompeii Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The wonderful Roman town of Pompei"
- "The Dead City"
- "Striding across Pompei"
- "Frozen in time"
- "The Uncovered City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pompeii
- Hotels in Pompeii
- Transportation in Pompeii
- Nightlife in Pompeii
- Restaurants in Pompeii
- Shopping in Pompeii
- Warnings and Dangers in Pompeii
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Pompeii
- 6 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Pompeii?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pompeii
Photos in PompeiiSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 64 reviews, 46 photos
- Paris Intro, 27 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maui Intro, 33 reviews, 22 photos
- Rome Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 28 reviews, 16 photos
- Seattle Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 12 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Positano Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bear Lake Intro, 15 reviews, 7 photos