"A first trip to Rome and beyond..." Rome by Erin74

Rome Travel Guide: 12,093 reviews and 26,960 photos

Surviving the blackout, enjyoing the sights!

Rome was an adventure from the start. I arrived in the middle of the big blackout. There was no train or Metro transportation, very few restaurants were open and general chaos seemed to be in full effect. After a couple of hours (and a good glass of wine) the lights came on and it all started to make sense.

I was eventually joined in Rome by several friends, but spent two days here on my own. It is an amazing city, with so much to see. I've highlighted my favorite things here and hope that it will help anyone who is planning a trip to Rome. The best thing I did before traveling to Rome was to very carefully check the hours and days that sights were open (many things are closed Mondays) and look into dress codes (shoulders and knees must be covered in churches!). This made deciding when and where to go much easier.

I was very surprised that everyone in Rome seemed to speak English. I still tried to use my paltry Italian, though. The Romans were, for the most part, very nice and very helpful. I had a great time in Rome and look forward to returning. After all, I did throw a coin in Trevi Fountain.

Rome is full of history...

...and amazing food!

• Pros:"Come on, it's Italy. It was gorgeous, sunny and we ate like pigs. Molto buono!!"
  • Cons:"Constant, non-stop smoking. Even in restaurants! I won't miss that!"
  • Last visit to Rome: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Feb 24, 2004

• Sep 4, 2007 at 8:47 AM

Nice pics. Just a little mistake in your text. The Fountain of Neptune was actually designed by Della Porta. It got its alternative name "Fontana dei Calderari" or Fountain of the Coppersmiths from the workshops nearby

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2006 at 4:54 AM

Good tips! I'm going to Rome soon. Ciao!

• AlexDJ's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2006 at 5:04 AM

Ciao Erin! Very nice pics about Rome! You must have had a good time there! Tell me if you plan to come again!

• raoul71's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2005 at 1:05 AM

Hi there! We don't smoke any more in indoor public places, restaurants included! So, don't wait a second, come again, and see more!!! Cheers!!!

• BarryAir's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2005 at 12:56 AM

forget the coin in the Trevi Fountain....Just eat a Gelato and you will return!!!!Rome is magical beyond description...Barry in Louisiana

• Propermark's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2005 at 8:40 AM

Hi! I'm glad you like my country! Hope to visit the States one day but first I wanna tour Europe. Greetings from Sicily. Marco.

• rwlittle's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2005 at 3:20 PM

Stopping by to do a little honeymoon-based research...great tips and photos, and that hotel sounds like a winner! Thx!

• Jul 12, 2004 at 11:00 AM

Ehm, Erin, Villa Borghese IS the vast park, the one u're talking about is the Galleria Borghese, located in it. Another thing...Villa Borghese is definitely not outside Rome, actually it's just in the very center of it. Anyway, good pages:)) bye

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2004 at 11:54 AM

In the ancient world, all roads were said to lead towards Rome. Your pages deserve such notoriety, Erin.

• DavidKeeling's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2004 at 5:12 PM

Missed Rome by a day...thanks for filling us in. Returning to Italy for a longer stay is on the books. Bravo on your Rome pages, the excitement grows!

Erin74

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page. (St. Augustine)”

Badges & Stats in Rome