"A first trip to Rome and beyond..." Rome by Erin74
Rome Travel Guide: 11,958 reviews and 26,425 photos
Rome was an adventure from the start. I arrived in the middle of the big blackout. There was no train or Metro transportation, very few restaurants were open and general chaos seemed to be in full effect. After a couple of hours (and a good glass of wine) the lights came on and it all started to make sense.
I was eventually joined in Rome by several friends, but spent two days here on my own. It is an amazing city, with so much to see. I've highlighted my favorite things here and hope that it will help anyone who is planning a trip to Rome. The best thing I did before traveling to Rome was to very carefully check the hours and days that sights were open (many things are closed Mondays) and look into dress codes (shoulders and knees must be covered in churches!). This made deciding when and where to go much easier.
I was very surprised that everyone in Rome seemed to speak English. I still tried to use my paltry Italian, though. The Romans were, for the most part, very nice and very helpful. I had a great time in Rome and look forward to returning. After all, I did throw a coin in Trevi Fountain.
- Pros:"Come on, it's Italy. It was gorgeous, sunny and we ate like pigs. Molto buono!!"
- Cons:"Constant, non-stop smoking. Even in restaurants! I won't miss that!"
The Scala Sancta is a staircase that is supposed to have been walked upon by Jesus Christ and is considered holy and... more travel advice
Perhaps the most beautiful of all of Rome's piazzas, Piazza Navona is located in the northeastern portion of the city.... more travel advice
Erin74's Related Pages
Rome Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "R O M E"
- "TO THE SOURCES OF MY CULTURE AND HISTORY."
- "Roma - Città Eterna"
- "Roma, una citta stupenda"
- "Rome : A Surpise Around Every Corner"
- "Awestruck in Rome"
- "The world's biggest open air museum?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rome
- Hotels in Rome
- Transportation in Rome
- Nightlife in Rome
- Restaurants in Rome
- Shopping in Rome
- Warnings and Dangers in Rome
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rome
- 22 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rome
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 64 reviews, 46 photos
- Paris Intro, 27 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Maui Intro, 33 reviews, 22 photos
- Rome Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 28 reviews, 16 photos
- Seattle Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 12 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Positano Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bear Lake Intro, 15 reviews, 7 photos