"State cultural reserve of Kernave" Kernave by ginte
Kernave Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 47 photos
Kernave Archaeological Site (Cultural Reserve of Kernave), ancient capital of Lithuania, was inscribed into UNESCO World Heritage List in 2004. This was the only one Unesco place in Lithuania I haven't seen yet. So, one day my boyfriend and I just went there by car for to see it finally. I've seen just pictures and postcards before, so I knew it has to be beautiful. But what I've seen there surpassed all my expectations. It's really a hidden treasure and a beauty which is definitely a must see! From the moulds a wonderful panorama of Lithuanian landscape opens, you can see one of the biggest Lithuanian river Neris and even a small island in it. The views were just adorable there.
The Kernave Archaeological Site, in eastern Lithuania about 35 km northwest of Vilnius, represents an exceptional testimony to some 10 millennia of human settlements in this region. Situated in the valley of the River Neris, the site is a complex ensemble of archaeological properties, encompassing the town of Kernave, forts, some unfortified settlements, burial sites and other archaeological, historical and cultural monuments from the late Palaeolithic period to the Middle Ages. The site of 194,4-ha has preserved the traces of ancient land use, as well as remains of five impressive hill forts, part of an exceptionally large defence system. Kernave was an important feudal town in the Middle Ages. Although the town was destroyed by the Teutonic Order in the late 14th century, the site remained in use till the modern times.
- Pros:Amazing historic place with a wonderful landscape...
- In a nutshell:A perfect trip for one day... A must see!
Be careful when climbing on steps to the moulds, as they don't have any handrails. It was strange... more travel advice
On the main hill from where the wonderful panorama of moulds and landscape opens, you'll see a wooden house. I don't... more travel advice
ginte's Related Pages
Kernave Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kernave - the morning of great history"
- "State cultural reserve of Kernave"
- "Kernave National Park"
- "Kernave town- the national nature monument"
- "Kernave, where everything started"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kernave
- Transportation in Kernave
- Warnings and Dangers in Kernave
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kernave
- 8 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Kernave?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kernave
Photos in KernaveSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 64 reviews, 140 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 65 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 43 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palanga Intro, 26 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lithuania Intro, 26 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kaunas Intro, 37 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tartu Intro, 25 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vilnius Intro, 31 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Region Intro, 27 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Helsingborg Intro, 15 reviews, 32 photos