"...Nida..." Top 5 Page for this destination Nida by ginte
Nida Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 258 photos
The Curonian Spit, a sandy spit separating the Curonian Lagoon from the Baltic Sea, is one of the most beautiful and extraordinary sights in Lithuania. Originally, a shoal was covered with water. Over the centuries, sand drifting in from the sea, covered the entire surface and was shifted by the wind into a range of large sand dunes.
Formerly Nida was further from the shores of the Courish Lagoon. The village moved to its present location in 1732 when the original site was covered by drifting sand. A lighthouse was erected in 1745 on a dune 51-m high, and in 1787-1788 a church was built. The old houses of the fishermen, decorated in typical Lithuanian folk fashion, have survived to the present.
The Curonian Spit and its residential centre Nida are known as the Mecca of holidaymakers in Lithuania.
Kursiu Nerija (Curonian Spit) National Park (18.000 ha) was set up in 1991. It is situated between the Baltic Sea and the Kursiu Marios (Curonian Lagoon). Unique and very delicate nature needs strong regulation of economic activities and that of visitors’ flow.
Kursiu Nerija is formed of sand grains, which started their long and complicated way from the Semba peninsula 5-6 thousand years ago. Sand grains accumulated in the sandbank, at first under the water, then they formed a white-colored embankment above it. The length of the spit is 97 km, its breadth fluctuates from 400 m to 3.8 km.
On the west side of the spit, bordering the Baltic Sea, a narrow and low protective dune has been created. Behind it a forested plain stretches, and beyond it one can see a crest of great dunes; it is situated near the Kursiu Marios. The great dunes stretch for about 70 km. Their breadth is approximately 700-800 m and they are 60 m high, forming bays and capes on the side of the Kursiu Marios. The great dunes are real gems of the spit landscape.
- Pros:Calm place for the holidays and unique nature...
- Cons:If you like big cities, there's nothing to do then...
- In a nutshell:More than just the sea and ordinary nature...
There is one camping in Nida. For the detailed information, please visit internet site www.kempingas.lt more travel advice
The best way to get around Nida is to go for a walking tour. You'll discover many unique places for sure! more travel advice
ginte's Related Pages
Nida Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nida - Sand dunes and pine forests"
- "Nida in Curonian Spit National Park"
- "Sea and Sand"
- "The most unique and magical place in Lithuania"
- "Nida - a nice beach resort"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nida
- Hotels in Nida
- Transportation in Nida
- Nightlife in Nida
- Restaurants in Nida
- Shopping in Nida
- Warnings and Dangers in Nida
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nida
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Nida?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nida
Photos in NidaSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 64 reviews, 140 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 65 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 43 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palanga Intro, 26 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lithuania Intro, 26 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kaunas Intro, 37 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tartu Intro, 25 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vilnius Intro, 31 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Region Intro, 27 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Helsingborg Intro, 15 reviews, 32 photos
Latest Nida hotel reviews
- Nidos Smilte
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 13, 2013