"...Helsingborg..." Top 5 Page for this destination Helsingborg by ginte
Helsingborg Travel Guide: 115 reviews and 231 photos
One sunny day I was going by train from Copenhagen to Helsingør in Denmark. And while being there I've discovered that Sweden is so close to that shore, that I just couldn't miss the oportunity to go there;-) I took a ferry from Helsingør in Denmark to Helsingborg in Sweden (quite similar names, isn't it?). The distance was really short and it took me only about 15 minutes to get to the another shore.
Many people were going to Helsingborg and back. I guess, it's because of the shortest distance between these two countries. And it's very simple to take a ferry to Sweden from Denmark or from Denmark to Sweden just for to have a nice afternoon there.
I've got a comment from VT member Sjalen on my Helsingborg page. As she's Swedish, it's an important one, as it discovers the real reason why Swedish go to Denmark so often :-)
People cross the strait to buy cheap Danish beer! :)
HISTORY & FACTS: The 21 May 1085 is counted as Helsingborg’s official birthday. This is when the town was first mentioned, in a deed of gift from the Danish king, Knut the Holy, though people had already been living here for a considerable time before this. Strategically it was a well-chosen point from where the narrowest part of the Sound could be controlled.
Helsingborg celebrated its 900th anniversary in 1985.
Helsingborg has a population of close to 118,000 inhabitants and is thereby Sweden's 9th biggest community. About 85,000 people reside in the town itself. For many years Helsingborg was just a small town, but thanks to the railways and a new harbour a strong expansion took place around the middle of the 19th century. Helsingborg is situated at the narrowest part of the strait between Sweden and Denmark and the distance across the water to Helsingör in Denmark is not more than 4km. Helsingborg is a trading centre, the harbour is the second largest in the country and the European highways E4 and E6 cross one another just outside the town.
- Pros:Just 4km by ferry to Denmark from there...
- In a nutshell:Nice and cosy town...
This is the old tower of former Helsinborg fortress which is opposite to Helsing¸r fortress in Denmark (other coast of... more travel advice
While you are in a ferry going from Denmark to Sweden and backwards, you won't feel that you're in the sea, as the... more travel advice
ginte's Related Pages
Helsingborg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pearl of Öresund Strait"
- "Helsingborgs IF - saved by the politicians"
- "Shorthest distance to Denmark"
- "Helsingborg - a interesting small city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Helsingborg
- Hotels in Helsingborg
- Transportation in Helsingborg
- Nightlife in Helsingborg
- Restaurants in Helsingborg
- Shopping in Helsingborg
- Warnings and Dangers in Helsingborg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Helsingborg
- 15 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Helsingborg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helsingborg
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 64 reviews, 140 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 65 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 43 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palanga Intro, 26 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lithuania Intro, 26 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kaunas Intro, 37 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tartu Intro, 25 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vilnius Intro, 31 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Region Intro, 27 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Helsingborg Intro, 15 reviews, 32 photos