"Live life in Dali" Dali by hooiluangoh
Dali Travel Guide: 220 reviews and 703 photos
Dali is about 400 KM north west of Kunming. It is accessible by air, rail or bus. Getting there from Kunming costs as low as 55 yuan (mini-bus).
Forget abou the new Dali city, as it looks just like any other chinese cities. Instead, head for the old town, which is very accessible from the train station by a 1-yuan public bus.
There are plenty of accommodation to choose from, starting from a low 15 yuan for a clean dorm bed.
And then plenty of western restaurants (which also serve chicken noodles etc) to frequent. They serve delicious food and the environment is always cosy. And the price: very reasonable. Many of the restaurants are halal, so this is an extremely friendly town for muslims as well.
Also, get a taste of the farmer's dishes. You can tell for the veges are all on display outside. Pick the mushrooms, as you may not find them anywhere else. A meal costs as low as RMB 8 per person.
Shopping for those Bai minority handicraft items can be fun, with some bargaining thrown in. Walk along Foreigner's street to the end of the town toward Cang Shan Mountain where things become cheaper. Tour the whole of the old town on foot, admiring the Bai architecture, and shopping at the same time.
Tour the lake (Er Hai). Climb the Mountain (Cang Shan - 4000m) from the mid-level (2500m) Higherland Inn guesthouse. Get a taste of 3-course tea if you are into that Bai's tea culture.
Visit the local markets outside oldtown. Or get a hair wash for as low as RMB 2. (two that is !)
In the evening, go for a massage, a foot spa, a BBQ snack, which serves Dali cheese / fish / potato or anything by the road, or a beer at any of the bar which fancies you, and chat with other travellers who have come to enjoy Dali.
How else should life be, if not Dali style ?
- Pros:Clear blue sky, delicious food, crisp air, inexpensive
- Cons:May be a tad too cold in the evening (end Nov)
There are plenty of craft shops along Foreigner's Street The wooden doll in the colourful custome is pretty. about RMB... more travel advice
The Bai people are an interesting bunch of businessmen. They give you the impression they want the business badly, and... more travel advice
hooiluangoh's Related Pages
Dali Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Old Dali"
- "A great surprise"
- "Mountains, Lake, and Buddhist Monasteries"
- "Clean your shoes, Sir?"
- "Dali, Yunnan"
- "Dali Old Town and The Three Pagodas"
- "Live life in Dali"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dali
- Hotels in Dali
- Transportation in Dali
- Nightlife in Dali
- Restaurants in Dali
- Shopping in Dali
- Warnings and Dangers in Dali
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Dali
- 12 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Dali?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dali
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kunming Intro, 139 reviews, 141 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Qingdao Intro, 27 reviews, 41 photos
- Jinghong Intro, 22 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Longsheng Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos
- Jinan Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Guilin Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Dali Intro, 12 reviews
- Lijiang Intro, 9 reviews, 1 photo
- Sanjiang Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
Latest Dali hotel reviews