"Kunming - the Spring City in the Southwest" Top 5 Page for this destination Kunming by hooiluangoh
Kunming Travel Guide: 636 reviews and 1,586 photos
Kunming is the capital of Yunnan Province, which is located in the south west of China. The province borders Myanmar, Vietnam, and Loas, and four other Chinese provinces : Tibet, Sichuan, Guichou and, Guangxi. Yunnan has a population of 43 mil (Thailand - 60 mil; Malaysia - 24 mil; Singapore - 4 mil) and a GDP of RMB 246 mil (2003).
As the city is built on a hill plateau, Kunming is closer to the sky. When you look out of the window, you see the clouds hanging lower than in many other cities. And there are many mountains surrounding it.
The temperature is always kind. Currently (Oct) it fluctures between 16 to 24C. It is a real pity I cannot take a picture of cool, crisp, fresh air of Kunming and publish it on the web. You have to come here to experience it yourself. Do note that the rainy season falls between April to October.
There are lots of minority races in Kunming, 26 of them to be exact. You can get a taste of what that's like in the Yunnannese Culture Park, next to Dian Chi.
Flowers, tobacco, processed ham, and tea are available in abundance in Kunming. I have yet to see a famous industrial product coming out of Kunming though.
The cost of living is very reasonable. A public bus trip in the city costs RMB1.
Roadside stalls are something to be adventurous about. You observe how they cook the food, and decide for yourself whether your stomach can take it.
I discover several things I like:
1) chinese pancake cooked in an "oven" with a little sweet (or savoury) stuffing. - RMB 0.50 each
2. Er Quai BBQ on charcoal fire - RMB 1 each.
3. Deep-fried potatoe served with sauce and mint leaves - this is now my absolute best love - RMB 0.50 each.
4. chick pea cold noodles - unfortunately, the best is found in Dali, which is about 400 KM away from Kunming.
Kunming is a place you have to come and travel and SPEND money, and still will not feel a dent in your pocket.
These are my suggestions:
1) massage - RMB 20 for min one-hour full body massage. You may ask for more in specific areas (eg. shoulders). Foot massage - RMB30 including a medicinal foot spa.
2) tea-tasting - taste as much as you like. And buy some local yunnanese tea (Pu Er) to take home. The tea has recently gone through some tests conducted by the health authorities - 100% passing rate in terms of pesticide residue.
3) hair cut/wash/style - RMB 9 to RMB 15. Of course you can always go for a very expensive one should you wish.
4) pedicure/manicure - RMB 20 for manicure including a finger spa. Nail art starts from RMB 5 for 10 fingers.
5) Shop for ethnic craft. They are pretty, and CHEAP.
6) food - good local specialities, plus Korean, Thai, Japanese, PIZZA.
7) Flowers - have a look. You will be pleasantly surprised.
8) Cheap DVD's - starting from RMB6 who can believe it is true.
9) Chinese herbs (tianma and sanqi) plus countless traditional medicines.
10) BREATHE the air !!!!!
- Pros:Excellent weather cool temperature
- Cons:Litterring, random spitting, and smelly public toilets
- In a nutshell:Smell the crisp fresh air in the right places
Rice noodle is the staple in Kunming. The Kunmingnites eat this for breakfast and lunch. This noodle is similar to what... more travel advice
The Chinese general who opened the gate at Shan Hai Guan (in the north) to the Qing army and who was ultimately... more travel advice
- See All You shall and You shall not..
- See All Pack VERY light if you are a shopaholic
- See All Double check your bill
- See All The MOST EXPENSIVE shopping venue
hooiluangoh's Related Pages
Kunming Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kunming - the Spring City in the Southwest"
- "Vigi in KUNMING - Sep2003"
- "Sharrie's Kunming Eternal Spring"
- "City of Eternal Spring"
- "Kunming - The Eternal Spring City"
- "Kunming - the spring city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kunming
- Hotels in Kunming
- Transportation in Kunming
- Nightlife in Kunming
- Restaurants in Kunming
- Shopping in Kunming
- Warnings and Dangers in Kunming
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kunming
- 139 Reviews
- 141 Photos
- 17 Forum posts
- 33 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Kunming?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kunming
- Posted in Travel Zgorzelec Forum "Prepaid Mobile sim card in Poland"
- updated a Kunming Travel Page "Kunming - the Spring City in the Southwest"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Kunming - the Spring City in the Southwest"
- Wrote a Review Rice noodle - Kunmingnites' staple in Kunming Restaurants
- Commented on one of vincentf's Kunming travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kunming Intro, 139 reviews, 141 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Qingdao Intro, 27 reviews, 41 photos
- Jinghong Intro, 22 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Longsheng Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos
- Jinan Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Guilin Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Dali Intro, 12 reviews
- Lijiang Intro, 9 reviews, 1 photo
- Sanjiang Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos