"Remote villages, rice terraces, ethnic minorities" Top 5 Page for this destination Longsheng by hooiluangoh
Longsheng Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 324 photos
The village has probably 100 houses all built on the slopes of the hill. The villagers grow rice on terraces carved out of the slopes. And this practice has gone on since the Yuan Dynasty close to 700 years go.
They rear pigs beneath the living quarters which are raised above the ground.
The older generations still wear traditional clothes.
There are two neighbouring villages, the nearest one is about 3 hours on the another hill. This village we visited belongs to the Zhuang people, the other two respectively house Golden Yao people and Red Yao people. They all speak different languages and do not understand one other. Their traditional costumes are different from one another, but the houses look alike.
Wooden houses. A few storeys. The ground is reserved for the animals.
They are villagers with a basket on their back. They help tourist carry the luggage up and down the hill for a small fee (RMB10).
- Pros:Time has stopped since 1350
- Cons:The villagers are talking money now
- In a nutshell:See it before it's gone
The village of Yao people. Very poor (ie no money) but they practise subsistence farming so nobody starves. Quite... more travel advice
This place is at the highest point on the hill in Ping An Cun, a Zhuang minority village with rice terraces built on the... more travel advice
hooiluangoh's Related Pages
Longsheng Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "LONGSHENG - ONLY A STOP-OVER"
- "Longsheng for beginners (+ see below)"
- "Dragon's Backbone Rice Terraces"
- "Remote villages, rice terraces, ethnic minorities"
- "Longji Titian (Dragon's Backbone Rice Terraces)"
- "Longji, The amazing Dragon's Backbone Rice Terrace"
- "Longsheng, Ping'An and Zhongliu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Longsheng
- Hotels in Longsheng
- Transportation in Longsheng
- Restaurants in Longsheng
- Shopping in Longsheng
- Warnings and Dangers in Longsheng
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Longsheng
- 4 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Longsheng?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Longsheng
- updated a Longsheng Travel Page "Remote villages, rice terraces, ethnic minorities"
- Posted in Travel T'bilisi Forum "T'bilisi cafe and fruit in season"
- Wrote a Review Trek 2 hours to come to another village in Longsheng Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Trek 2 hours to come to another village"
- Commented on one of afterglow's Longsheng travel pages
Photos in LongshengSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kunming Intro, 139 reviews, 141 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Qingdao Intro, 27 reviews, 41 photos
- Jinghong Intro, 22 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Longsheng Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos
- Jinan Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Guilin Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Dali Intro, 12 reviews
- Lijiang Intro, 9 reviews, 1 photo
- Sanjiang Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Zhongdian Intro, 1 review, 4 photos