"Yosemite: One of America's Finest Parks" Yosemite National Park by Andraf

Yosemite National Park Travel Guide: 1,503 reviews and 3,461 photos

We've been to Yosemite many times. First time we went there for the Memorial Day weekend and it was horribly crowded. I could say that we almost had to wait in line to hike. Still, the waterfalls were at their peak and I enjoyed it and wished to come back at a better time. Second time we went at the beginning of April. This time it was entirely different, few people were visiting and at times we had the nature all to ourselves.

The view from Yosemite valley takes your breath away. You get struck by the magnificent and diverse landscape of this park. The best known features of Yosemite are the waterfalls, El Capitan (largest and tallest exposed granite cliff), the unusual rock formation of Half Dome, and several groves of magnificent Giant Sequoia trees.

The perfect season for seeing the waterfalls is spring. The reason is that the warmer weather begins to melt the snow, and the flow of waterfalls increases. You will also see many small, unnamed waterfalls and cascades all along the Valley rim. Most of them diminish and even dissapear in the summer. There are a dozen of places to climb and hike and so many photo opportunities.

The park is 4.5 hours drive from San Francisco and a 6 hour drive from Los Angeles.

• Pros:Spectacular scenery and lots of things to do
  • Cons:It can be crowded; don't go there on national holidays
  • In a nutshell:If you're visiting California this is one place not to be missed.
  • Last visit to Yosemite National Park: Apr 2003
  • Intro Updated Jan 25, 2005

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Your tips brought back great memories of hiking and camping in Yosemite in the 1960s.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2012 at 6:21 PM

wow thanks for the memories of one of the most beautiful places on earth! went there long ago when i was in college

• davesut's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Thanks for the tips, Yosemite is on our agenda for the summer, only for days though :(

• johncudw's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2008 at 4:53 PM

Really niceI pictures of Yosemite. Check ours out - we haven't been out there sing 1983

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2008 at 6:19 AM

great page

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2006 at 3:06 PM

Yosemite is a really beautiful place, your page describes it really well; I didn't do many hikes off Tioga Road when I was in Yosemite, but it looks like I have to come back someday and do that trail up Mt. Hoffman. Great Photos!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2006 at 1:24 PM

superb page. copied the lot for later reading / use. thanks

• cassiejoy42's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2005 at 8:12 PM

Andrea - wow, breathtaking views and scenery - Yosemite Park is impressive and I love waterfalls so much - thank you for sharing - Cassie

• catalysta's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2005 at 11:25 AM

Excellent Yosemite page, I still haven't been there in previus CA trips, but will be sure to go next time! ...cat (PS thanks for coming by my Cooks page, I loved those islands)

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2005 at 5:07 PM

Once again, beautiful photos! You're so right about staying away on major holidays, and I can't pronounce that meadow name either...

Andraf

“"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." R.L. Stevenson”

Badges & Stats in Yosemite National Park

Have you been to Yosemite National Park?