"The Unknown Beauty of Northern California" Top 5 Page for this destination Lassen Volcanic National Park by Andraf
Lassen Volcanic National Park Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 342 photos
Lassen Volcanic National Park is located in Northern California, about 250 miles north of San Francisco. Since Lassen, Yosemite, and Lake Tahoe are all roughly 4-5 hours away from the San Francisco Bay Area, most people choose to go to Yosemite or Tahoe, leaving Lassen relatively crowd-free, even in the middle of the summer season. Which is a pity, because Lassen has as much to offer and it's one of the most beautiful parks in California.
What I like about Lassen? First, the scenery is a perfect blend of mountains and forests, of deep blue lakes, lush meadows and waterfalls. But the main draw of the park are the volcanic features. Mount Lassen last erupted in 1915 but the area is far from dead. Lassen has a highly active geothermal area, the largest outside Yellowstone National Park. You can see mudpots, thermal pools, steaming fumaroles and signs of thermal activity all around the park - complete with the rotten egg smell from the sulphur pits :-)
Second, there are a lot of things to do at Lassen. Hiking is of course the big attraction here; there are trails for every level ranging from very easy to difficult ones that require overnight stays. Two popular trails are Bumpass Hell and the hike to the top of the Lassen Peak. The Bumpass Hell trail (named after an unfortunate gentleman named Bumpass who lost a leg there) is about 3.5 miles round trip and can be done in 2 hours. Once you reach the end you get to see what makes Lassen such a great place. There are some great photo opportunities of the steaming fumaroles and bubbling streams. This hike is popular, but still it is not crowded. The hike to Lassen Peak is a little mode difficult (more elevation gain), it's longer and evidently takes longer to accomplish. Located in the northeast corner of the park you can also visit a cinder cone. It's rather off the beaten path but once you get there you'll discover an interesting landcape, worthy of the trip. You can also fish and boat at Lassen.
Third, for a national park, Lassen it's not crowded at all. Both times I went to Lassen for the Fourth of July weekend and both times there were very few visitors. We passed a few people on the trail, but not many. It was quiet and peaceful. I went to Yosemite for Memorial Day and it was so crowded one could barely breathe.
The only drawback to Lassen is that the open season is very short. The main road through the park is closed during the winter, as are the campgrounds. I've read that parts of the park are open for cross-country skiing during the winter months, but I didn't try that yet.
- Pros:Spectacular scenery, interesting volcanic and geological features, no crowds
- Cons:Closed part of the year because of snow
- In a nutshell:Beautiful park that offers something for everyone
Sulphur Works is one of the sites of Lassen which is right next to the main road through the park so to get there you'll... more travel advice
Manzanita Lake is located close to the NW entrance of the park. It's a nice place to rest by the water, or to take a... more travel advice
Andraf's Related Pages
Lassen Volcanic National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Lassen Volcanic National Park Page"
- "Lassen Volcanic National Park"
- "Unexpected show at Lassen!"
- "The Unknown Beauty of Northern California"
- "Geothermal Playground"
- "Lassen Volcanic National Park"
- "Lassen National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lassen Volcanic National Park
- Hotels in Lassen Volcanic National Park
- Transportation in Lassen Volcanic National Park
- Restaurants in Lassen Volcanic National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Lassen Volcanic National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lassen Volcanic National Park
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Lassen Volcanic National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lassen Volcanic National Park
- Posted in Travel Death Valley National Park Forum "Re: Will I have time?"
- Commented on one of Andraf's Lassen Volcanic National Park travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Painted Dunes"
- updated a Lassen Volcanic National Park Travel Page "The Unknown Beauty of Northern California"
- Wrote a Review Sulphur Works in Lassen Volcanic National Park Things to Do
Photos in Lassen Volcanic National ParkSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 66 reviews, 151 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 50 reviews, 111 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 22 reviews, 93 photos
- Paris Intro, 20 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salta Intro, 9 reviews, 46 photos
- Florence Intro, 20 reviews, 29 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haleakala National Park Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Rome Intro, 15 reviews, 22 photos