"Bucharest, Romania" Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest by Andraf
Bucharest Travel Guide: 1,658 reviews and 4,338 photos
Bucharest is the capital of Romania and home to close to 2.5 million people. It is the city where I was born and where I grew up, the place where I lived until I moved to US. I've noticed that many travel guides available in English advice people not to go to Bucharest. I do agree that Bucharest can be a difficult and frustrating city for a foreigner and that there are numerous more photogenic places to visit in Romania. Bucharest was gravely defaced during communism with most of the old town being torn down to make way for the ugly Soviet style buildings that you can see today in many parts of the city. However, most foreigners that return to Bucharest say that the city is the kind that is slowly growing on you and that if you give it more time it will reward you. Personally I think that this city is worth a shot and that if you know where to go Bucharest can be a very pleasant experience. Yes, there are stray dogs, there are street children and beggars and the traffic is crazy. But Bucharest also has beautiful architecture, good restaurants and nice places to go shopping.This page is an attempt to prove my point.
The best time to visit Bucharest is in May or September. The winter is usually very cold and Bucharest sees a lot of snow (I like this, guaranteed white Christmas every year; but if you don't like cold avoid coming here from December to February). Summer (July, August) is really hot (the city is located in the middle of a plain) and it doesn't cool off much in the afternoon. The heat used to be a problem because most places didn't have air conditioning. Not anymore; almost all shops and restaurants are air conditioned now.
I guess you can see the major sites in one day but I recommend that you spend a few days here. There are enough places to see for a few days.
The serious looking building that you can see in the photo is Bucharest’s Law Faculty which is part of the University of... more travel advice
Even if my title didn’t spell it out, I don’t think it would have taken you more than a few seconds to identify this... more travel advice
- See All Falling masonry
- 1st of March is Martisor Day
- Free outdoor concerts
- See All Nicoresti Restaurant
- Packing list
Andraf's Related Pages
Bucharest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Thrill, a Challenge, a Laughter"
- "About my homecity - Bucharest"
- "Bucharest, Romania"
- "I learned to love it"
- "Bucharest / Bucureşti"
- "Bucharest - Trapped Between Past And Future"
- "Bucharest-1st stop on a Romania tour"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bucharest
- Hotels in Bucharest
- Transportation in Bucharest
- Nightlife in Bucharest
- Restaurants in Bucharest
- Shopping in Bucharest
- Warnings and Dangers in Bucharest
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bucharest
- 65 Reviews
- 148 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 63 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Bucharest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bucharest
- Posted in Travel United States of America Forum "Re: Where can I get real, simple,..."
- Commented on one of Andraf's Bucharest travel pages
- updated a Bucharest Travelogue "Bucharest's Street Art"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bucharest's Street Art"
- Wrote a Review Bucharest's School of Law in Bucharest Things to Do
Photos in BucharestSee All Photos (148)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 65 reviews, 150 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 49 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 22 reviews, 93 photos
- Paris Intro, 20 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salta Intro, 9 reviews, 46 photos
- Florence Intro, 20 reviews, 29 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haleakala National Park Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Rome Intro, 15 reviews, 22 photos