"Bucharest, Romania" Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest by Andraf

Bucharest Travel Guide: 1,651 reviews and 4,328 photos

Bucharest is the capital of Romania and home to close to 2.5 million people. It is the city where I was born and where I grew up, the place where I lived until I moved to US. I've noticed that many travel guides available in English advice people not to go to Bucharest. I do agree that Bucharest can be a difficult and frustrating city for a foreigner and that there are numerous more photogenic places to visit in Romania. Bucharest was gravely defaced during communism with most of the old town being torn down to make way for the ugly Soviet style buildings that you can see today in many parts of the city. However, most foreigners that return to Bucharest say that the city is the kind that is slowly growing on you and that if you give it more time it will reward you. Personally I think that this city is worth a shot and that if you know where to go Bucharest can be a very pleasant experience. Yes, there are stray dogs, there are street children and beggars and the traffic is crazy. But Bucharest also has beautiful architecture, good restaurants and nice places to go shopping.This page is an attempt to prove my point.

The best time to visit Bucharest is in May or September. The winter is usually very cold and Bucharest sees a lot of snow (I like this, guaranteed white Christmas every year; but if you don't like cold avoid coming here from December to February). Summer (July, August) is really hot (the city is located in the middle of a plain) and it doesn't cool off much in the afternoon. The heat used to be a problem because most places didn't have air conditioning. Not anymore; almost all shops and restaurants are air conditioned now.

I guess you can see the major sites in one day but I recommend that you spend a few days here. There are enough places to see for a few days.

• Last visit to Bucharest: Jan 2007
  • Intro Updated Mar 6, 2007

• ger4444's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2014 at 6:31 AM

Great page, unfortunately i did not had the opportunity to see all the tips, since i had only 2 days in the city. My fav spot in Bucharest was Caru cu Bere... Wonderful interior...

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2014 at 12:36 AM

I found it very interesting to read your 'Things to Do' tips and learn about the buildings that somehow escaped being torn down during the communist era.

• Jun 26, 2014 at 12:30 PM

thanks for your help! sorry I am having problems trying to send you a message, maybe you can recommend he bes museum for learning about Romanian history and a good sports bar to catch world cup games! Joe

• Andraf's Profile Photo
      Jun 27, 2014 at 1:10 AM

Every other bar in the Old Town is showing the World Cup. My favorite bar in the Lipscani area is Van Gogh on Smardan Street. Don't know if you're a smoker or not but if you're sitting inside be prepared for some serious smoke coming your way. Romanians love their cigarettes. And btw, it's raining in Bucharest :( But tomorrow's supposed to be sunny. As for the history, there's the History Museum, bordering the Old Town, but the last time I was there was when I was in high school :) and that was many many years ago so I can't tell you anything about it. If it's sunny you can take the tourist bus, it will take you to all the major squares and pass by the museums and the Palace of Parliament

• KristaB's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Compliments on your writing style and photohraphy! I enjoyed your Bucharest page and travelogues very much, and saved many tips into my Trip Planner, thank you! Mica is gorgeous, such a clever look in her eyes! We have a dog called Mici - officially Misty but we use both names. :o)

• Andraf's Profile Photo
      May 4, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Hi Kristina, thanks for your nice words and for the ratings. When are you coming to Bucharest, before or after Sibiu? If you'd like I can show you some of the city or we can have a coffee while you're in town. I'll be in Bucharest both before and after Euromeet, until beginning of July.

• KristaB's Profile Photo
      May 5, 2013 at 10:51 AM

You are very kind, I'm still making plans, will let you know - thank you!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Thanks for the tips!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Hello Andreea! Fantastic page on Bucharest -- so much information, tips & advice. Great photos too. Hope to be in Bucharest for a day or so in September! I am really hoping to see/visit some of the wonderful places you've shared with us! Can you tell me what the hours & admission fee are for the Romanian Atheneum (not for a concert, just to see the interior)? I cannot find it on their website.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Wonderful Bucharest pages. Excellent and realistic details. Good photos. Greetings from Alaska!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2010 at 3:36 PM

There is so much great looking architecture and ornate buildings, and Smardan Street must be great to stroll. Your presentation of pictures and detail comments are very helpful

• Oct 15, 2010 at 7:21 AM

Hi, my husband will be in Romania 2-9 NOV & wanted to rent a car to drive around to other cities, but reading many reviews of the driving I'm a bit concerned I learned to drive in Mexico/US now I live in Luxembourg do you think I would have any problems?

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Andreea, interesting new warninga nd danger tip here. Yes, I can definitely second the statement that Romania is a smokers country. :-)

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Hi Andreea, your company was most excellent in Krak, Brat and V. I trust we did not darken your reputation by hanging with us riff raff until dawn.. deep down I think most were just jealous. Hope to see you on the sooner side, warmest regards, Karl

Andraf Lives Here!

Andraf

“"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." R.L. Stevenson”

Badges & Stats in Bucharest

Have you been to Bucharest?

Photos in Bucharest