"Sighisoara - Schaessburg - Segesvar" Sighisoara by Andraf
Sighisoara Travel Guide: 392 reviews and 1,070 photos
Sighisoara is probably the best preserved fortified town in Transylvania, being built by the Saxons between the 12th and the 17th centuries. It is located on the Tarnava Mare river in a picturesque setting. The citadel, a beautifully preserved medieval complex, dominates the town with its hilltop setting. The old town enclosed within the citadel walls has narrow cobblestone streets and brightly painted 16th century Saxon houses. There are nine surviving towers; the most beautiful is the striking Clock Tower, the main gate into the citadel. From its balcony one can see beautiful views over the whole town and countryside. I took about 20 pictures of the Clock Tower and looking at them now, it looks like none is good enough and none looks as beautiful as the original in the afternoon light.
Sighisoara fame is drawn mainly from being the birthplace of Vlad the Impaler which some still believe served as the inspiration for the novel "Dracula". The house in which he was born lies at the foot of the Clock Tower. Since I don't care too much about the myth of Dracula, I prefer other sights of Sighisoara, like the above mentioned Clock Tower or The Church on the Hill, with its beautiful 500 year old frescoes; to get to it you can climb the Covered Stairway, which was built in the 17th century. Or see the Church of the Dominican Monastery which has been built and rebuilt for 800 years. You can also have fun by trying to find all the towers that are still standing or simply just by walking inside the citadel and looking at the old houses in which life still goes on after so many centuries (Sighisoara citadel is still inhabited).
If you want to know how much time to budget for Sighisoara, I believe a day is enough. Some even stay here half day, but I don't like to rush things.
Sighisoara is usually very quiet but in the first or second week of July an annual Medieval Folk Festival takes place here. This festival attracts hundreds if not thousands of young Romanians and if you come to visit during that time expect to find some hippie-looking crowds hanging out all around the town.
Finally, if you like to collect UNESCO World Heritage Sites Sighisoara is one of them so you can add one more to your list :-)
- Pros:Beautiful medieval complex
- Cons:None that I can't think of
- In a nutshell:If you came all the way to Romania it will be a pity to miss Sighisoara
Very close to Biertan lies the village of Richis. They have a beautiful Gothic church which I've only seen from outside... more travel advice
Rex is a relatively modern hotel whose only disadvantage lies in its location. It's located in a drab residential area... more travel advice
Andraf's Related Pages
Sighisoara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE MOST BEAUTIFULL TOWN IN ROMANIA"
- "Sigishoara - Medieval pearl of Transylvania"
- "Sighişoara: "Dracula's" home town"
- "Dracula's True Birthplace"
- "Sighisoara-an UNESCO World Heritage site"
- "Sighisoara - Schaessburg - Segesvar"
- "SIGHISOARA - A must visit!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sighisoara
- Hotels in Sighisoara
- Transportation in Sighisoara
- Nightlife in Sighisoara
- Restaurants in Sighisoara
- Shopping in Sighisoara
- Warnings and Dangers in Sighisoara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sighisoara
- 17 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Sighisoara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sighisoara
Photos in SighisoaraSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 67 reviews, 152 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 50 reviews, 111 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 22 reviews, 93 photos
- Paris Intro, 20 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 20 reviews, 29 photos
- Salta Intro, 8 reviews, 41 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haleakala National Park Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 18 reviews, 19 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Sighisoara hotel reviews
- Casa Wagner
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Hotel Binder Bubi
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 28, 2013
- Burg Hostel
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 5, 2013
- Nathans Villa Sighisoara
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 4, 2012
- Legend House
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 3, 2013
- Gia Hostel
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2012
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 7, 2013
- Hotel Restaurant Europa 2000
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 28, 2009