"Kauai: Unspoiled beauty" Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai by Andraf

Kauai Travel Guide: 971 reviews and 2,584 photos

Kauai is the oldest and northernmost of the Hawaiian islands and its natural beauty is simply stunning. It is also known as "the garden isle" and I found this nickname to be true as the island is very green and vegetation is abundant. One thing that I liked about Kauai is that it is still largely unspoiled, mostly rural, with no hotel strips and no four lane roads (well, there are a few big resorts but this is not the norm here). What is amazing about this little island is how many things one can see and do in such a small place. One shouldn't miss the Waimea Canyon, the Napali Coast (the Kalalau Valley), the many waterfalls, the view of the taro fields from Hanalei and the spectacular beaches (which are all public).

• Pros:Peaceful and quiet, beautiful scenery, non-touristy by Hawaii standards
  • Cons:Prices can be a little high, little nightlife if this is what you're looking for
  • In a nutshell:Go, Go, Go!
  • Last visit to Kauai: Dec 2001
  • Intro Updated Feb 13, 2004

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Kauai is a favorite of ours as well. Nicely done tips and photos.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Hello, Andreea! Thanks for sharing your wonderful experiences! ~ Take care!~

• Jun 7, 2008 at 5:39 PM

FYI on the "Don't take dogs" piece, those are hunting dogs. They often run after goats/pigs and get lost for hours/days but eventually find their way home. If you find a random shirt hanging on a tree, leave it for the dogs to pick up their owner's scent.

• spitball's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2007 at 5:11 PM

Hi Andrea, I'll be on Kauai beginning November 30th, until Dec. 16th '07, your tips are just what I was looking for thank you. Looks like I WILL be bringing my boot covers.

• Nov 3, 2007 at 12:12 PM

Hi Andreea, what a wonderful page!! Kauai is on the top of my wish list! My ratings are with you. Greetings from Italy, Francesca

• Apr 19, 2007 at 10:26 AM

Thanks for the great information. We will take some of your advice.

• Hopkid's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2006 at 1:10 PM

Thanks for the comment on my Sevilla page. Nice Kauai page, BTW. I need to do one myself! Oh, and belated Happy Birthday! ~ Andy

• 2rs's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2005 at 9:47 AM

Hi, thanks for sharing images and tips.

• seamandrew's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2005 at 10:11 AM

Wow Andrea, Kauai sounds just as great as Maui! I've always said my next trip to Hawaii will be to Kauai. That hike down Opaeka'a Falls and the visit to Polihale Beach sound like things my wife and I would love! Great pics and tips!

• RedEaredPanda's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2005 at 6:42 AM

Gorgeous scenery photographs and excellent tips.. I suppose Kauai is a natural wonder so close to home.. Would love to visit one day and hike its trails.. Guess summer will be a better season as far as trails are concerned.. Thanks for the tips...

Andraf

“"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." R.L. Stevenson”

Badges & Stats in Kauai