"Corsica, "The Mountain in the Sea"" Top 5 Page for this destination Corsica by intl_dan
Corsica Travel Guide: 378 reviews and 1,139 photos
Hello and welcome to my Corsican travel recommendations! Feel free to send me any questions you might have.
I have been living in Corsica for nearly two years and have travelled extensively around this beautiful Island.
I want to altert your attention to the Castganiccia region, so called in Corsican, after its chesnut trees that blend into the mountainous forests. Its dotted with beautiful and fascinating villages, hamlets, churches, convents, waterfalls, mountains, forests, and ... wild boars! This is a wonderful place for nature lovers and hikers, full of history and culture, it was once one of the most densly populated rural areas of europe, but today is sometimes sadly allusioned to as "the green desert". Since its under represented in tourist information, and people miss it, I will dedicate more recommendations to it than other, more well known regions.
Corsica is more than 300km, southeast of Marseille, but less than 80km from Tuscany. It is not surprising then that it was by far more influenced by Italy then France in its very long and bloody history. The island is a bit less than 9,000sqkm and is very mountanious (highest Monte Cinto 2,685m/8,810ft). Forests cover a good deal of the island, and hence its reputation as the greenest of the mideterranean islands. Most of the castagniccia is in the huge Parc Regional Corse that cover 360,00 hectare which also encompasses 122km of coastal area, the longest in Europe.
The north and south differ in both landscapes and cultures. The north has the highest mountains, and is historically more prosporous and cultured, also known as Diqua dei monti (this side of the mountains). Because of its revolution agains the aristrocracy in the 13-15th centuries, it developed a more egalitarian, almost socialist (non ideological) distribution of land into communes (land communaly owned), and henced known as Terre du Commmuni. The south, Dila dei monti (beyond the mountains) is the most touristy part of the Island, also known as Terre de Seigneurs, famous for its vandetta's and ... beaches!
Most Corsicans live ... in exile, there are nearly a million of them outside Corsica and only 180,000 on the Island, along with another 100,000 non natives (I will explain why I write this in "local customs"). Anyways, the Island is one of the most sparesly populated areas of France, with some parts of it boasting a population density to rival the Sahara! So despite it being small, there is alot of room!
The biggest city is Bastia with, ahem, 50,000 people! Its a great place, make sure you visit it.
- Pros:Beautiful Island, exceptionally varied landscape, unspoilt beaches, unique culture
- Cons:Expensive, poor public transport
- In a nutshell:Corsica - the Island of Beauty
South of St. Florent is a 40km stretch of wilderness known as the Désert des Agriates. A beautiful rocky expanse of... more travel advice
Francesca built her little chalet in the village of Querciolo all by herself just by the maquis, and not too far from a... more travel advice
Written Dec 2, 2003
Traditions and Customs
Written Dec 3, 2003
The Heart of Corsica: The Castagniccia
intl_dan's Related Pages
Corsica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The mountains of Corsica"
- "Beautiful Corsica"
- "Corsica, "The Mountain in the Sea""
- "Wild - romantic Corsica"
- "Trekking in Corsica"
- "La Corse - L'île de Beauté"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Corsica
- Hotels in Corsica
- Transportation in Corsica
- Nightlife in Corsica
- Restaurants in Corsica
- Shopping in Corsica
- Warnings and Dangers in Corsica
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Corsica
- 23 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Corsica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Corsica
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corsica Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bastia Intro, 12 reviews, 10 photos
- Aquitaine Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 20 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ilha dos Lençóis Intro, 1 review, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Folkestone Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belo Horizonte Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Vassouras Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Estado do Amazonas Intro, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 4 reviews, 3 photos