"take it from a local..." Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando by shohman
Orlando Travel Guide: 3,224 reviews and 6,542 photos
Orlando gets a bad rap, but it is actually a very cool town if you look beyond the glitz. If you stick to Theme Parks, you are missing the true Orlando. The city itself has a very 'young at heart' attitude, and it is truly a melting pot of different cultures. You won't find many natives down here, and that makes for a great opening line when meeting strangers. There is a great arts community here and there is always something to do.
Most people seem surprised that Orlando has an international demographic. You will find people from all over the world living here. We have a huge island culture (Puerto Rican, Jamaican, Haiti) A Vietnamese section, a large group of folks from the UK and a good mix of other cultures. If you look REALLY hard, each one has restaurant hidden throughout the city, most with non-descript storefronts, but service some of the most satisfying meals anywhere.
For art, there's the Winter Park Art Festival every March that attracts artists from all over the World. Also, there is the yearly Nude Nite art show which is one of the funkiest art shows anywhere.
For nightlife, there is pretty much anything you want. The downtown area has several bars and clubs for any crowd. The dance clubs seem to rotate every couple of years and most have a short life. I'm more of a laid back pub type. Fiddlers Green is a great pub that reminds me of Boston pubs. For a laid back, no frills bar, Casey's on Central Ave is a place every local has been at one time or another. Some of the best people watching anywhere, you are as welcome in a suit as you are in shorts and a t shirt and the staff is great.
There are also several beautiful parks for biking, walking, even a canoe trip and most people here are active.
Please note, some of my tips are from areas just outside the Orlando city line. Areas like Winter Park, Maitland and Casselberry have some great things to offer but an outsider would most likely not know to look there.
Best Pint of Guiness - (tie) Fiddlers Green and Casey's
Best Celebrity Spotting - Golds Gym, Turkey Lake Road: recent sightings include Shaq, Justin Timberlake, Vince McMahon and Triple H, and VT member Shohman
Best After Work Bar- Wall Street Cantina
Best Place to take a walk- Lake Eola
Best Low Carb Meal- blue cheese burger wrap at The Alehouse
Best Place to Feel Ugly, Yet Accepted - Hue
Best Place to Take a Nap - the couch at Tatame Sake and Tea
Best Shave - Broadway Joe's. Where else can you get fed, sung to and shaved smooth as a baby's bottom for just $25?
Best Place For an Out of Towner to Feel at Home - Fiddlers Green
Best Cup of Coffee - Stardust Coffee and Video
Best Butcher - Petty's Meats, Longwood
Best Place to Become a Crime Victim - Walmart Parking lot, Kirkman Rd
Best Sandwich - Boar's Head Ultimate, Publix Deli
Best Stainless Steel Tub of Beer on Ice - Tijuana Flats
Best pho: Pho 88
Best Sushi: Sushi Katana
Best place to feel hip even if you aren't: Stardust Coffee and Video
Best Art Show: Nude Night
Best Place to Catch an Indie film: The Enzian
Best Produce: Winter Park Farmer's Market
Best Place to sit and relax: Palmano's Coffee Roaster
This is Orlando's motto, and I must say they do a great job. Yes, there are run down areas, but they do a great job of making most of the city a sight to behold. The almost constant sunshine also makes it a prime spot for taking great pics.
- Pros:no snow, very hip, cheap to live here
- Cons:brutal, hot Summers
What a treat this place is! Blink and you might miss it. Located at Washington and Bumby and tucked right behind The... more travel advice
Casey's is known by everyone in Orlando. It's no frills, but a great place to go and chat with friendly people and the... more travel advice
- See All they JUST DON"T GET IT!!!
- See All Shuttle Launch
- See All EVERYTHING FOR THE OUTDOORS.
- See All WINTER PARK ART FESTIVAL
- See All Bongos
shohman's Related Pages
Orlando Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"
- "orlando florida"
- "take it from a local..."
- ""When You Wish Upon a Star.....""
- "Orlando, Florida"
- "Disney and Universal Studios"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Orlando
- Hotels in Orlando
- Transportation in Orlando
- Nightlife in Orlando
- Restaurants in Orlando
- Shopping in Orlando
- Warnings and Dangers in Orlando
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Orlando
- 59 Reviews
- 86 Photos
- 70 Forum posts
- 44 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Orlando?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Orlando
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman,..."
- updated a Orlando Travelogue "Thetravelslut's Orlando VT meet. October, 2009"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Thetravelslut's Orlando VT meet. October, 2009"
- Wrote a Review A hidden gem in Orlando Restaurants
- Commented on one of mcblacktiger's Orlando travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 59 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Augustine Intro, 45 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 48 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 52 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 34 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boulder Intro, 38 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iloilo City Intro, 29 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 25 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sint Maarten Intro, 19 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Boracay Island Intro, 23 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues