"Rainforest, watefalls and a volcano." Bacolod City by shohman
Bacolod City Travel Guide: 454 reviews and 1,151 photos
Bacolod City is a 1-2 hour ferry ride from Iloilo, depending on which ferry you take. Our trip there was actually just outside the city smack in the middle of the rainforest. The city itself is like any other medium sized city in the Philippines, but the rainforest is just beautiful. Based at the base of a volcano it has several waterfalls, mountain views, and scenery that will make you stop in your tracks and just think "wow"
As we hiked up 7 falls (just that, 7 waterfalls that were more impressive the further you climbed) We would come upon native huts made of bamboo and straw the housed entire familes. Talk about living off the land: these people bathe in the falls eat food they grow or pick themselves, and make a living out of selling freshly picked wild flowers, or by giving tours of the area.
As I Hiked up past the sixth waterfall, drenched in sweat, my feet aching from my poor choice of footwear, I came around a bend and spotted a hut with an open window, the cutest little girl staring out at me with interest (not many white people come around here) Our eyes meet and she gives me a shy smile and a big wave. I smile back and take her picture and she grins from ear to ear, waving me off as I continue my hike.
My nephew points out a tree full of hundreds of flying foxes (fruit bats) hanging updide down. Our guide picks up fruit and throws it at the tree and suddenly hundreds of huge bats (3' wing spans) are circling the tree, schreeching. Now, I wasn't happy the guide threw something at the bats, but he did, and the scene was amazing. (I actualy have some incredible video and if I ever figure out how to upload it here, I will)
We finally reach our resort quite some time later and first dip in the cool pool, then once we are cooled we transfer into the very hot natural sulphur springs, and finally back into the cool pool. Once the sun goes down there's not much to do and that is fine with me because I'm exhausted from the day and I have no problem eating a simple dinner and turning in early so I can wake at the crack of dawn for yet another go in the pools.
So local legend says a aldy was banished (err, or something like that) and turned into a mountain range. Several locals pointed out that the range looked like a nude woman laying on her back. Hmmm, I guess if you use your imagination, ANY mountain range would. Anyway, It's a beautiful range surrounds by fields of rice and sugar cane.
- Pros:The waterfalls, the rain forest, the mountains
- Cons:the most horrible coffee imaginable.
So, there is a local legend here about a woman who was banished and went off to the hills and somehoe turned into a... more travel advice
the falls and the volcano are a perfect place to hike, guides are readily available and super cheap. bring proper... more travel advice
- See All proper footwear
- local food cheap
- Pringles as you've never had them
- See All squid on a stick
shohman's Related Pages
Bacolod City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The City of Smiles"
- "Welcome to the City of Smiles - Bacolod!"
- "Where the Grass is Green and the Girls are Pretty"
- "Where the air is sweet"
- "At home in Bacolod"
- "Bacolod, is it really a dullsville?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bacolod City
- Hotels in Bacolod City
- Transportation in Bacolod City
- Nightlife in Bacolod City
- Restaurants in Bacolod City
- Shopping in Bacolod City
- Warnings and Dangers in Bacolod City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bacolod City
- 18 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Bacolod City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bacolod City
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Were you a wild teenager?"
- Commented on one of buenababe's Bacolod City travel pages
- updated a Bacolod City Travel Page "Rainforest, watefalls and a volcano."
- Uploaded a Photo to "hydrate"
- Wrote a Review the worst coffee on earth in Bacolod City Warnings and Dangers
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 59 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Augustine Intro, 45 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 48 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 52 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 34 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boulder Intro, 38 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iloilo City Intro, 29 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 25 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sint Maarten Intro, 19 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Boracay Island Intro, 23 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues