"Homepage of a very busy Czech girl" XBlanka's Profile

On the life crossroad. [2007-Jul-5]

Dear VT friends,

after long 7 years on June 25 I've finally finished my university studies and got the MA of media and media communication. I just wanted to share my joy with you.

It's very strange ... I was waiting such a long time for this moment. Now the moment is here and I feel sad. There is no more study stress, no more sleepy morning lessons, no more hours spent in the library ... although I fill my time with work in publishing I feel like loosing something. But I hope that this is just an ordinary short-time feeling that experience anybody who finishes some important part of life - working project, school, travel.

The positive thing is that now I can finally complete all my travel pages:)

Wayward life. [2007-Jul-5]

In September 2005 I experienced how wayward can the life be. I spent few months in hospital with very special disease. It is called Guillain-Barre syndrom. It attacks your nerve system and you are loosing muscles. One day you are with your friends in pub and have fun and the other day you aren't able to wake up from bed and move with a single finger.

Fortunately I beat this damn disease and now, after nearly two years, I can say I'm healthy again. I had to learn how to walk and believe me it was pretty though time 2 years ago. But in such situation you do anything. Everyone of us has some hidden potential that is mobilized in different, mainly extreme, situations that nobody can predict. So if you feel like you're in big troubles, my advice is "FIGHT and DO NOT GIVE IT UP!"

It is much longer story than for those few lines. I just wanted to tell you I'm back again, I can walk again, I can travenagain and hope I'll have lot of fun with all of you.

About me...

Many people want me to update my VT pages ... but I'm soooo busy:-) So I'll try to improve myself and write here more about me and about the people, things and places I like or I'd like to meet, to do or to see.

Let's start:

Hi I'm Blanka :-)

Blanka from Czech republic.

Blanka who lives right now in Prague and has been living there for 8 years. My hometown is in southern part of Czech republic and is called Straz nad Nezarkou. I love visiting my family there.

Why I'm so busy? When I became a VT member in 2003 I was a University student and studies at the Faculty of Humanities were very time demanding. Like every Czech student I had to work to make some money and like any student I also wanted to spent some time with my friends ... so sometimes it was really difficult to combine all these activities together. Now, in 2007, the University is finished, but there is still soooo many things to do. But I'll try to update my VT pages more often. At least once a year:))

My studies...

After 4 years I've finished my BA at Faculty of Humanities at Charles University in Prague. My major was "Gender studies" and I liked that very very much.

From October 2004 I continued at MA degree at Faculty of Social Sciences of Charles University. My major was "Media communication". I finished this faculty in June 2007.

I always tried to combine the gender subject with media. Also my final thesis was about the construction of women's role in the reality show Wife Swap.

On the picture, there is the building of our faculty, but much more interesting is the view from it, because it is the view of Prague castle ... I think this is the faculty with the best location in Prague:-)

Both faculties I studied at was part of the Charles University. The University was established in 1348 by the Czech king Karel IV. and belongs among the eldest world universities. The Charles University has 17 faculties all around the Prague (3 of them are in other cities of Czech republic).

The education for Czech students is free. And it's free for anybody who is able to study in Czech language. So if you like to study here - just learn our language:-))

My hometown and surroundings...

Although I was born in the capital - Prague I live in a small town (800 people) in South Bohemia (southern part of Czech republic) - My hometown It's a lake district of Czech republic with beautiful nature and many ponds. If you like swimming, fishing, cycling or picking up mushrooms :-) this is the place where you have to go.

12 km from Straz is very nice town Jindrichuv Hradec with 3rd largest castle complex in the Czech republic (1st is Prague castle, 2nd is Cesky Krumlov).

If you go opposite direction another 12 km from Straz is town Trebon It is small town with beautiful square with traditional architecture. Around Trebon there are many many ponds. Right in the town there is pond called Svet (The World in English). It's good for swimming, fishing or you can just take a cruise.

South Bohemia is very good region for cycling. There are many magic towns with beautiful architecture - Slavonice or Telc and many others.

Among tourists it's very popular town Cesky Krumlov with its castle complex that is the 2nd largest in the Czech republic. Cesky Krumlov is usualy overcrowded with tourists like every nice and popular place in the world. But it's worth seeing. There is also Egon Schiele Art Centrum

In South Bohemia there are many beautiful castles. For example: Cervena lhota or Hluboka

Amateur theatre in Straz

In my hometown - Straz nad Nezarkou - there is an amateur theatre group with a very long tradition. In 2006 we celebrated 150th anniversary. I like acting with this group of people. It's great opportunity how to relax a bit, forgot your everyday troubles and be for a while someone else:) You can see here the pictures from the last performance, May 2007. It is an old dramatic piece called "Nasi Furianti" written in 1887 by Ladislav Stroupeznicky.

If you are in Prague you can see this play in the National Theatre: Our Uppish and Defiant Fellows

• Intro Updated Feb 21, 2008

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• TrendsetterME's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Hey Blanka, "Happy Birthday", with all my best wishes ... :)

• zachmarie's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2011 at 1:27 AM

Hi Blanka, will be in Prague in the last week of July (for 3 days) Do you know of any low cost accomodation - just to sleep in the night :-)

• Fen's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Hey Blanka, How are you :-) I just saw my comment on your Prague page! Haha Wow! And to think i've been there twice already!!

• WorldMeet2008's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2008 at 7:19 AM

Your next trip? Make it really unique! It's not too late to attend WM08 - Jerusalem, Tel Aviv & Dead- Sea on 25- 28th Sept (+Petra 29-30th). We want to double the num of attendees to 100! Click to learn where, when, what, how, how much! Avi [FruitLover].

• pattayaraj's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Hi Blanka! Happy Birthday! Wishing you all the best.

• Herkbert's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2008 at 7:05 PM

Hi Blanka.... I hope you have a great birthday. It sounds like you have much to celebrate. Congratulations on graduating and getting back your health.. Happy travels.. Tom

• Mikebond's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2008 at 8:19 AM

Ahoj Blanko! Your homepage is very interesting. I'm happy that you defeated your disease and graduated. I will visit Prague in July (from 19th to 26th), I can't wait!

• Feb 27, 2008 at 7:42 PM

congrats on your MA Social Studies. My BA is w/ Crim Justice, currently w/ Dept of Corrections. Want to discuss social issues? Ill be in Praha late spring for 3 days visit coming from LA and Munchen

• imstress's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2008 at 5:28 PM

Have a blessed New Year. Keep the fighting spirit ON!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
XBlanka's Profile Photo

XBlanka

“No tomatos, please! :-)”

Real Name