"New Zealand at last!" New Zealand by trees100ft
New Zealand Travel Guide: 14,416 reviews and 36,717 photos
After having postponed our trip by a full year, we finally made our way down under to New Zealand in Nov-Dec 2003. It was indeed a memorable holiday.
I'm in love. With New Zealand. Its remoteness, its rugged beauty, the space, its indomitable spirit comes together so beautifully to make NZ truly one of the most desirable places to live in.
The memories that I have now
- winds that tear down the sides of the mountains, almost toppling our motorhome
- French town - Akaroa - 2 hours out of Christchurch
- being 'beach fleas' at Mitimiti Beach
- smells of Rotorua
- elephant mountain at Milford
- the best motor park of them all
- The Desert Road in the heart of the North Island
- jet lag
- fun names like Kohukohu, Kerikeri, Mitimiti, Matamata, Paihia, Whakarewarewa, Whangarei,
- the Tui
- the pohutukawa in bloom for Christmas
- sand dunes
- dining halls
- speed traps
- The Mount
- crater of Mt Eden
- Real fruit ice cream
- best Indian food in Christchurch
- The Marbles
- Gore and trout
- Homer's tunnel
- helicopter rides
- Donne's Glacier
- Mt Cook and The Hermitage
- feeding duckies
- Flax and weaving
- Kauris and giants
- Shotover jetboat
We had enough time to linger at some of the off-the-beaten track places. It was near the Far North.
We spent a wonderful afternoon on a desolated beach near the Hokianga Harbour, and saw lots of specimens of anemones, rams' horns (hard remains of squids), blue bottles, green-lipped mussels, barnacles, limpets, sea stars, stone crabs.
Ram's horns are the skeletal remains of deep-sea squids. They are about 1-inch spirals that are often mistaken for shells. They are gas-filled chambers that help to keep the squids afloat in an upright position. When the squids die, these skeletons float to the surface of the sea and are often washed up to shore.
trees100ft's Related Pages
New Zealand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Proud Local Shows You Around New Zealand!!!"
- "Antipodean Paradise"
- "Living and Travelling in New Zealand"
- "The most beautiful country in the world"
- "North & South Islands."
- "God's Country!"
- "New Zealand from the North to the South"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Zealand
- Hotels in New Zealand
- Transportation in New Zealand
- Nightlife in New Zealand
- Restaurants in New Zealand
- Shopping in New Zealand
- Warnings and Dangers in New Zealand
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Zealand
- 2 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to New Zealand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Zealand
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hong Kong Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 4 reviews, 3 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Pulau Bintan Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Muriwai Beach Intro, 3 photos
- Taipei 1 review, 1 photo
- Te Anau 1 review, 1 photo
- Kampung Sedenak Intro, 2 photos
- Beijing Shi Intro, 1 photo
No friends yet.