"My home - Singapore" trees100ft's Profile

Traveller's Palm

Without doubt, this has to be the most beautiful tropical tree around. It isn't really a palm. Look closely, and you will be able to tell from its large thick leaves that it is from the banana tree family.

Some trivial notes about the Traveller's Palm:
- it is a native of Madagascar
- brought into Singapore at the turn of the century (1900's)
- the base of the tree contains a lot of water which, as the story goes, provided sustenance to travellers in olden days.
- left naturally, it will grow in a East-West alignment.

This one is grown by my neighbour.

• Intro Updated Nov 26, 2005

• kenyneo's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2004 at 11:12 PM

Happy Birthday from the little Isle of Betel Nut called Penang ..many fun and cool journeys ahead !

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2003 at 9:53 PM

Thanks for "visiting" Israel on my pages, you WILL visit in reality one day and see the wild side of raw nature if YOU would like to. ^O^

• A2002's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2003 at 9:11 AM

Hi Kun, I am a PhD candidate in Loughborough. :-) Counting down to going home already...

• Oct 16, 2003 at 7:40 PM

Hi Kun. Thnx for dropping by at my page. For nature lovers like us, i couldn't agree better for Plau Ubin's preservation!!! Your purple hibiscus homepage photo reminds me of my mother's own garden back home! Regards! :-)

• rachel_sun's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2003 at 6:59 PM

Nice pic of flower, i have an orange one in my bedroom....hope you are enjoying vt,,,,, i have over 30 palms in my garden, hardy ones,, chinese wind palm,, auatralian cordylines etc

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2003 at 12:42 AM

travellers from East to West - & what of those from South to North - ? ;-)))

• tessy's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2003 at 2:10 PM

Great start! I'm curious to see more!

• Sep 28, 2003 at 8:22 PM

Welcome on board VT...Awiating for your home page, albums and travellouges...Have a nice time on VT...Have a nice day too.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!