"Silas' Adventures-Great moments make a good life" silasm's Profile

Silas in Turkey (Magnesia)

After three visits to Turkey in three years I know it will be many years before I see all I want to see. The people I met in the country and small towns were very gracious and generous. I have many stories and memories of "great moments" that contribute to my "good life". I thank the people of Turkey that provided me kindness and generousity during my travels.

As i was driving from Selchuk to Pergamon I saw a wall of old rocks and bricks so I pulled over and ventured into an archeaolgical dig (German students) and wandered around the ruins and fields. As I was filming the area I came across this man resting in a field. He is a goat and sheep herder. He tried to get up to greet me and I motioned for him to sit. I sat beside him and we tried to communicate. He was as surprised to see me wandering in this field as I was surprised to see him. He offered me a cigarette and we smoked. I got a buz because I do not smoke. The next day I returned and gave him this and other photos. We ate lunch under a tree with other goat and sheep herders. I spent the better part of two days with these men-sharing bread, vegetables, olives, and tea.

Washington Monument - Great View of the City

Free tickets are distributed for that day's visit from the kiosk on the Washington Monument grounds at 15th Street and Jefferson Drive on a first-come first-served basis. Hours for the ticket kiosk are 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, but tickets run out early. Hours for the Washington Monument are from 9:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.; closed December 25. RESTRICTIONS The following items and activities are prohibited within the Washington Monument: Smoking Eating including the bringing in of food items to the monument. Drinking (except water in a CLEAR PLASTIC container) Guns and/or ammunition Knives Aerosol cans or mace Baggage or packages larger than 18” X 16” X 8” Strollers Animals There is NO storage provided by the National Park Service. Please make your own arrangements to store your personal items prior to arriving at the monument

Theodore Roosevelt Memorial

Visiting this memorial at night, morning or during the day it is worth the time to learn about a man and a time in history.

Theodore Roosevelt was a man with vision. He considered the future before making decisions and his legacies still influence us. Perhaps his greatest legacy was in conservation. This wooded island is a fitting memorial to the outdoorsman, naturalist, and visionary who was our 26th President.
After Roosevelt's death on January 6, 1919, citizens wanted to establish a memorial in his honor. The 91 acre wooded island in the Potomac seemed the perfect place. The Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Association purchased the island in 1932. Congress approved funds in 1960 and the memorial was dedicated on October 27, 1967. Eric Gugler designed the memorial. Paul Manship designed the statue.

National Cathedral

The fine gothic Cathedral is magnificent and worth the visit.

SUNDAY Open 8 am–6:30 pm

Tours Offered (30-minute Guided Tours and Audio Tours) 12:45–2:30 pm

MONDAY–FRIDAY Open 10 am–5:30 pm **

Tours Offered (30-minute Guided Tours and Audio Tours)
10–11:30 am; 12:45–3:30 pm
On Mondays & Wednesdays,
when there is an organ demonstration scheduled,
afternoon tours are offered from approx. 1:15–3:30 pm.

The Museum Store 9:30 am–5 pm

SATURDAY* Open 10 am–4:30 pm

Tours Offered (30-minute Guided Tours and Audio Tours)
10–11:30 am; 12:45–3:30 pm

The Museum Store 9:30 am–5 pm

Kennedy Center - FREE CONCERTS

The Kennedy Center offers FREE DAILY CONCERTS at 6pm in the atrium of the Kennedy Center. If you arrive at 5:30 you will be able to get a comfortable chair. http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/millennium/ This is open to the public. Attire is casual. They sell pop and snacks and the view is wonderful. Take the elevator to the roof and see Georgetown.

Air and Space Museum

The National Air and Space Museum National Mall Building, Washington D.C. Address:
Independence Ave at 4th Street, SW
Washington, DC 20560

Hours: 10:00 am - 5:30 pm
Open every day except December 25. Admission: Free

You can spend 2 to 4 hours in the museum easy. Check out the IMAX theatre! See at least two of short films!

• Intro Updated May 5, 2006

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!