"Ni Sa Bula to Fiji" Fiji by LimorSchwartz

Fiji Travel Guide: 1,006 reviews and 2,976 photos

The Village of Namatakula!

So, I arrived to Nadi Airport around 3am and took a shuttle bus to the village.
It dropped me off at the Warwick hotel, where I ended up arriving early and hanging out for an hour and talking to one of the workers named Lemesh.

My host Saimon came and picked me up with a huge smile and warm welcome. He automatically made me feel welcome and at ease.

We arrived to his home which is on the Coral Coast of the big island of Fiji- Viti Levu. The village is actually th home of a very famous Rugby player. If you didn't know, Rugby is a major thing here in Fiji. It is actually one of the main ways that Fijans can travel outside of their country, considering that their wages are about FD$120 a month. Not very much.

Once I arrived to their house they prepared a wonderful breakfast and we ate it Fijan style on the floor on the Fijan Matt.

After Breakfast I went with Tema, who is a cousin of the family and 33 years old (single,even in Fiji!) and was my guide for my 3 night stay with the family, around the village and the beach. We talked about the customs and all the differences between Fiji and America.

I basically hung out at the house and village. Constantly ate.
Saimon's wife Judith was a wonderful cook and I had three meals a day. Fresh papayas, pineapples and mangos that grew on their trees near their house.
I ate fresh fish every day that their son, Iso (who was 28yrs old, married with 3 kids) would fish from the sea.
Got some eye candy- he has a great body. :-)

A Visit to Suva and my last day at the Village

Tema and I traveled to Suva with Saimon and some of the family members. They were on their way to a funeral that was in a village a half hour more than Suva.
So I sat in between their son Iso and their nephew Ben.

Well, Ben was a very talkative and lively person and we ended up chatting all the way to Suva, which was about a 2 hour drive from the village.
Saimon dropped Tema and I at the Fiji Musuem. There, I learned about the Fijan culture and traditions. It was very interesting.
After the Fijan Museum, we walked to see the President's house. Suva is the Captal of Fiji and all it's parliamant and goverment offices are in this city. It's the biggest city in Fiji. It's on the opposite side of the Viti Levu from Nadi.
After that we went and took a taxi to see the stadium, where they had the Olympic games and the University. We then took a local bus to downtown Suva, where we walked through the food market. All the fruits were 3 for $0.58. Not bad!
After the market we went to the Flea Market, where I brought a SULU, which is the Fijan term for a sarong.
We took the express bus home , which in itself was an experience.

On Friday, I went snorkeling with Iso- the fisherman. It was an experience. I saw blue starfishes and colorful small fishes in the coral reefs.

In the evening Tema and I went to the Warwick Hotel, near the village where I saw the Bega Island's walking on hot stones.
The Bega are the only ones that are able to walk on hot stones.
After the firewalking, we saw the Meke Show- which is the traditional Fijan dance. It was amazing and very powerful.
I also witnessed the traditional Kava ceremony. Kava is a powdered drink from a certain plant. They use the root. This drink has a numbing effect like the gum gel used at dentist offices.

Overall I had a wonderful time at the village and would recommend it to everyone.
I got to experience the way they live and learn a lot from them. They are such a friendly people, always smiling and saying BULA!

BeachComber Island

Well after the village, i figured I needed some tan and some fun.
In the village the Fijan people are very conservative and wear long skirts and t-shirts, so it was not appropiate to go and sunbathe.

So on Saturday morning. Tema and I took the Express bus to Nadi. A very packed bus that when it turned the corners, you almost fell out of your seat.

I took a taxi to Port Denerau, where I then took the Catamaran to the island.
There I stayed in a dormitory with 10 people. Though we were only 9.
The dorm was mixed and in the room stayed two male med students from Norway, a couple from Baltimore, two canadians, a Fijan girl that lives in Auckland and a Kiwi. (those that don't know, it's the word for a New Zealander)

So of course, we went right to lunch and then to the beach. The water was amazing. It was so clear, that you could see at least 10-15 feet down.
The first night was relaxing and the Fijan girl, Lynne and I ended up becoming friendly and hanging out most of the time. We met up with two guys that worked in Suva. One being an Australian and the other New Zealand.
It was a lot of fun.

The night was entertaining and I had a lot of fun.
Most of my time at Beachcomber was relaxing on the beach or kayaking in the water. I ended up not scuba diving, which was a bad mistake. But, hey, it's only the beggining of my trip!

So now I am in Nadi. Tomorrow morning I am off to Auckland and hopefully will enjoy the continuation of my trip as much as I have done up tp now.

Check in next week for updates!

• Last visit to Fiji: Jan 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 5, 2004

LimorSchwartz

“Experience the culture not the monuments”

Badges & Stats in Fiji