"Dawn in Nepal" Nepal by butterfly_girl

Nepal Travel Guide: 4,011 reviews and 10,830 photos

Pictures/Text by Kym. Do not use without asking.

It is dawn in Nepal; there is a gray mist in the air. There are people walking along the streets and women wearing saris. I hear chanting in the distance, with tablas keeping rhythm coming from the direction of the monkey temple. A stem of marigold still hangs in my hair from yesterday when three mystics came by and placed flowers in my hair and put a red dot on my forehead. It's a crisp morning in Nepal, as the chanting is getting louder now, if only I could get closer to see to these Buddhist monks and the beauty of this singing. Birds are chirping and dogs barking. I have heard the rooster crowing now for the last 2 hours. The sun is rising in the sky now as the haze is beginning to lift. The present moment is felt here on this crisp morning. There is a lady dressed in red strolling up the road. A young boy is calling out to his mother, as the chanting up above continues and the tabla beat is strong. There are two boys about 6 or 7 hugging in the road. Spirituality permeates the air here, you can't ignore it, and it's all around you. There are candles being lit and prayers being spoken, chanted and whispered everywhere. The city of Kathmandu is filthy and awe-inspiring at the same time, with beauty and decay all around. There is one thing so utterly amazing and the next revolting…all mixed together in a tapestry of life. Drums are beating loudly now and several children are running down the street, dressed in bright red and laughing. Sleep deprived and in a fog, my eyes are wide open. A big horn is echoing to my left as birds begin to chirp louder now. A lady is lighting candles on her rooftop. I see my breath on this cold morning. A new chant has started and I am ready to begin my day. Namaste, Om.

"Beauty and Strangeness in Equal Parts"

The Supreme moments of travel are born of beauty and strangeness in equal parts; the first panders to the senses, the second to the mind."
~Robert Bryant

"All the above is, of course, a gross simplification. There are deeper reasons to travel - itches and tickles on the underbelly of the unconscious mind. We go where we need to go, and then try to figure out what we're doing there."
- Jeff Greenwald "Shopping for Buddhas"

"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware."
- Martin Buber

"I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world."
- Mary Anne Radmacher Hershey

Om Mani Padme Hum

I travel in my mind
to places far away
Where prayer flags wave in the setting sun.
A tapestry in technicolor visions.
I sit quietly and contemplate...
the mirror before me.
I see snow covered mountains and hear chanting in my soul.
I dream of gypsy caravans that carry me away...
to a land of discovery, both inside and outside.
~Kym 2004

• Pros:Beautiful people, Spirituality, Snow covered mountains, Pokhara
  • Cons:Strikes
  • In a nutshell:Spirituality, Sadhus, Saints and Snake Charmers
  • Last visit to Nepal: Feb 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 17, 2006

• mamtap's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Nice infos about Nepal!

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2009 at 1:08 AM

The Sadhu 's has to be the best photoI have seen on VT.Would love a Post card....and your writing is inspiring!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2009 at 2:21 AM

~ Hi, Kym! I enjoy reading your inspiring page about your great experience!

• Jan 29, 2008 at 5:51 AM

One of the best site about Nepal! Excellent!

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2008 at 5:34 AM

Hello Kym. Gorgeous photos and stories about Nepal here, surely a country that one needs to visit at least once in a lifetime! I think the "head shake" is also the same in India. Greetings from the desert, Namaste :-) Jess in Dubai

• MarioPortugal's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2007 at 12:12 PM

Great Picture of the "Shiva Ratri festival". I just love it. Great Tip as well. Thank You.

• MichaelFalk1969's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2007 at 5:56 AM

Thanks for the visit and your comment - I enjoyes your Nepal pages, too. I have to agree that elephant riding is not the most comfortable means of transportation - I just wish had brought some cushions with me.

• y_lyn's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2007 at 6:26 AM

Very interesting opening photo!!

• LeCeleste's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2007 at 2:10 AM

The Fish Tail Lodge is a bit more expensive then other hotels in Pokhara.Only a bit ???? Jeez I wish I had also a money tree

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2007 at 7:57 AM

NAMASTE>>>Great Sadhus picture......kinda funny seeing these blokes walking bollok naked down the street all painted and high on hash and religion.Wierd and wonderful.Tim

butterfly_girl

“I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world. ~Mary Hershey~”

Badges & Stats in Nepal