"Into the Jungle" Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Chitwan by butterfly_girl

Royal Chitwan Travel Guide: 115 reviews and 431 photos

"Days and months are the travelers of eternity. So are the years that pass by...I myself have been tempted for a long time by the cloud moving wind- filled with a strong desire to wander."
~Basho

With the constant beeping of the horn we headed out to Chitwan through potholes, bumps, dust, noise and trashed roads for several hours. We followed along a river gorge with villagers milling around, some plowing rice in the fields with their oxen and others carrying sticks and jugs of water. There was dust everywhere and rickety old buses at every turn. We arrived to the Chitwan outskirts as several children crowded the car to get a view of the white tourist. One child wrote the word "pen" in dust on my window side and a small frenzy took place as my Dad searched his bag and was able to come up with a pen. We were covered in dust as we headed down a completely remote dirt road, past small communities of staring villagers. When we reached the bottom of the dirt road, we reached a river and that is where our car stopped, in a completely remote spot on a river. We had arrived in Chitwan!

• Pros:Back to Nature, Elephants, Animals
  • Cons:Riding an elephant is uncomfortable! Watch the food in this remote area.
  • In a nutshell:Elephants and peacocks and flowing rivers
  • Last visit to Royal Chitwan: Feb 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 10, 2004

• Jan 29, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Another nice picture! I love elephants also!

• steevie_wanders's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2006 at 12:30 PM

Hi Kym, lovely Nepal writings and photos, it's somewhere I'd really like to see (along with everywhere else on the planet!) What's transportation like in Nepal - is it mainly buses?

• aadil's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2005 at 9:31 AM

Your nightlife tip sounds very interesting and inviting to me!!! To see the stars from any place that is very dark is something I am always looking out for!!!

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2005 at 9:55 AM

Such an adventurous spirit you have. The Royal Chitwan sounds like a great place to watcha meteor shower. Thanks for a nice account of your trip, Kat

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2004 at 11:47 AM

Great Nepal pages! Look forward to more pictures

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2004 at 7:30 AM

Too bad I missed Royal Chitwan NP during my visit to Nepal. Hopefully next time...

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2004 at 12:49 AM

I'm enjoying butterfly girl's continuing adventures. Sounds like a fascinating place. Lucky you for having visited here. Excellent packing tip - did you have all that stuff?

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2004 at 7:57 PM

Good start, love to read some more. Good info and photos! :o)

• Braveheart.southafrr's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2004 at 5:18 PM

great tips and again i love your comments thanks for sharing there great ................kenneth

butterfly_girl

“I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world. ~Mary Hershey~”

Badges & Stats in Royal Chitwan

Have you been to Royal Chitwan?

Latest Activity in Royal Chitwan