"Goathland" Goathland by jduck1979
Goathland Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 80 photos
It's been a few years since I last set foot in this village located about 6-10miles out from Whitby. Been through it plenty of times via Bus + also through the station while riding on the footplate of a Steam loco while doing work experience on the NYMR.
To some, it's just GOATHLAND.... to the "HEARTBEAT" TV series fan it is known as "Aidensfield".... while "HARRY POTTER" fans may recognise it as HOGSMEADE as it was used for the first HARRY POTTER movie.
I've always preferred it as just GOATHLAND, and one of my favourite places along the NORTH YORKSHIRE MOORS RAILWAY.
Note: since first writing this intro, I've since visited the place for first time since around June '95? on 12th July 2006 and taken a stack load of photos to show on this joint (filled an entire 128MB XD Memory card in fact).
What I remember most about this place when my Grandparents took me there as a kid were the sheep....... roaming both in the village, and the surrounding North Yorkshire Moors.
It's all very well admiring the beautiful scenery, and the preserved locomotives running through the area...... but I vividly recall the grass in the village having little black balls of Sheep droppings in amongst it.
It also pays to stay alert when driving in & out of the village to avoid hitting any suicidal sheep.
- Pros:Great scenery, a must visit for Harry Potter nuts & Railway Enthusiasts
- Cons:Gets a bit crowded due to it's TV & Movie appearances.
- In a nutshell:Awesome, must see Scenery.... but beware of the Sheep.
Part of the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, possibly the prettiest station on this 20mile preserved railway..... and the... more travel advice
jduck1979's Related Pages
Goathland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Does TV help or harm a village?"
- "Goathland - Aidensfield by any other name!"
- "Goathland peaceful little film set ? ! ? ! ? ! ?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Goathland
- Hotels in Goathland
- Transportation in Goathland
- Restaurants in Goathland
- Shopping in Goathland
- Warnings and Dangers in Goathland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Goathland
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Goathland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goathland
Photos in GoathlandSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Whitby Intro, 48 reviews, 137 photos
- York 10 reviews, 31 photos
- England Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Ruswarp Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos
- Scarborough 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Goathland Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos
- Thornton-le-Dale 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Stainsacre 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Sleights 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Pickering Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
No friends yet.