"JD's Pickering Description page" Pickering by jduck1979
Pickering Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 74 photos
Pickering is an old Crossroads town in the middle of the North Yorkshire Moors, where the A170 from Scarborough to Thirsk joins with the A169 road running from Whitby to the A64 outside Malton.
There's still a fair bit to see there, though... for starters Pickering is where the Administrative headquarters of the North Yorkshire Moors Railway is located, one of the leading Preservation Railways in the United Kingdom. The Station there originally dates from around 1836, and among other things was used to depict Lincoln Station in the film 'Possession' starring Gwynneth Paltrow.
There's also the ruins of a Castle there, and a Trout farm. Just on the edge of town, down the A169 roundabout exit towards Malton there's a good garden centre, and a bit further still Flamingoland Theme Park & Zoo.
Despite it's remote location, it does have a BP petrol station + a Best Western Hotel.
An 11th century earthwork motte and bailey fortress founded by William the Conqueror, with bits added to it in the 12th... more travel advice
Pickering is the adminstrative home of the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, and where the line comes to an end after... more travel advice
jduck1979's Related Pages
Pickering Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pickering - Gateway to the Yorkshire Moors"
- "Not enough time to do it justice."
- "Bonio's visit to Pickering"
- "Pickering North Yorkshire."
- "JD's Pickering Description page"
- "Train rides & a castle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pickering
- Hotels in Pickering
- Restaurants in Pickering
- Shopping in Pickering
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pickering
- 4 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Pickering?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pickering
Photos in PickeringSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Whitby Intro, 48 reviews, 137 photos
- York 10 reviews, 31 photos
- England Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Ruswarp Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos
- Scarborough 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Goathland Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos
- Thornton-le-Dale 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Stainsacre 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Sleights 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Pickering Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
No friends yet.