"Hot Haikou" Haikou by Mel&Mike
Haikou Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 38 photos
As I said the Chinese seem to find it very interesting when we build fires. I'm sitting with Molly (lovely woman with a good sense of humour) who is Greg's girlfriend and she is from Haikou. We were warming up and watching Greg give kiteboarding another go. It was great to have many people join us at the fire. Unfortunately, the day was really cold, hence the fire and me wearing a toque so neither Mike or I ventured into the water. This beach was no where near as nice as Yalong Bay - it was very pebbly and a little dirty but still much better than Lake Ontario.
Poor Greg was a little frozen after his adventure in the water so he suggested a soak in the hot springs. Yeah Mike waited until we (Greg & his buddy Rob - also a Canadian from Toronto) all relaxed to take the pic and we had just come from eating oysters and lamb. Anyway, it looks like a hot tub but it's heated by a hot spring - it was sooooooo nice! For a nice rush you could jump into the 50 m icy pool which was right next to it. Rob nearly had heart failure, Mike looked brave and I shouted because I lost my bottoms - probably terrified the people with the vision of something large and glowingly white.
Oh and it's cheap to get in - 10 rmb plus 5 rmb for parking.
Dad, here's your motivation to come to China - check these out. They are cheap, big and delicious - you can get 40 FRESH oysters bbq'ed with garlic and green onion for 20rmb (about $3.50). Greg and Molly were fab and showed us all the good spots for food and drinks. We met a bunch of good people in one of the local Westerner bars.
- Pros:One of the nicest cities in China - clean, spacious, great vibe
- Cons:can't think of any but we were only there 2 days
- In a nutshell:Don't let it's shady past deter you
Mel&Mike's Related Pages
Haikou Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hainan Island"
- "Hainan's Tropical Capital"
- "Haikou, Hainan Island."
- "Haikou - capital of Hainan."
- "Capital of Hainan province"
- "Hot Haikou"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Haikou
- Hotels in Haikou
- Transportation in Haikou
- Restaurants in Haikou
- Shopping in Haikou
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Haikou
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Haikou?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Haikou
Top 10 Pages
- Nepal Intro, 5 reviews, 14 photos
- Malaysia Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Phnom Penh Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos
- Phum O Mekong Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Beijing Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sanya Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Queenstown Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
No friends yet.