"Sanya - the Asian Hawaii" Top 5 Page for this destination Sanya by Mel&Mike

Sanya Travel Guide: 98 reviews and 324 photos

Yalong Bay

The beach along this bay is 7Km in length and even during Chinese New Year most of it was deserted; nothing like Florida or Mexico where you may have to fight to find a square for your towel. There's a navy base at the far end and a guard will stop you at one point but there isn't much to see at that end anyway. Most people stayed near the shops in front of some of the hotels, the rest was generally empty.

Prep before the Kiteboard Ride

Greg was another Canadian we met on the beach who ended up being our tent town neighbour. He's a funny guy and a kiteboarder (among other things - engineer, etc.). It looks like damn good fun and Mike and I really would like to give it a go. Greg said it's great when the wind is right, we watched him get blown onto the beach a couple of times, which didn't look like fun. But he did catch some good air!
On the beach you could rent windsurfing equipement among other things, we were too busy sitting and drinking pijou (beer). Oh and in the right hand corner you can see the Holiday Inn which is where we were set up.

Relaxing before the Festivities

I'm chatting with Ian (Brit), very interesting guy who has been to 124 countries! Friendly chap who has some wonderful stories - good, bad and ugly. To my right is Shirley (Shanghainese), her husband Maurice (another Canadian) and Greg. Maurice and Shirly came with a bag full of fireworks which the guys started to light off during the day. Shirley and I played paddle ball for a bit, which was a mistake since we made good targets - I took one of the leg but with no lasting effects :).

• Pros:Beautiful beaches, great weather, not crowded, no pollution, clean,
  • Cons:Chinese New Year is VERY expensive, no matter how good your bargaining skills are - be prepared to be conned on everything and anything
  • In a nutshell:A little corner of paradise in China
  • Last visit to Sanya: Jan 2004
  • Intro Updated Jan 28, 2004

Comments

Mel&Mike

“Take the road less travelled”

Badges & Stats in Sanya