"Juneau - the hidden Capital" Juneau by skatzcatz
Juneau Travel Guide: 362 reviews and 881 photos
founded in the 1870's from the Alaskan gold rush, Juneau grew from a seasonal fishing village to a gold mining hub of the Alaskan coast. Its even been said that there are more mines in the nearby Mount Roberts area then there is in the all of Juneau.
Juneau became the state Capital on January 3rd 1959 when Alaska was granted statehood. The government in Juneau employs 1 out of every 2 of Juneaus workers, alos having a population of some 30000 people. After the governement tourism has now become the largest private employer in the region.
Of not with Juneau is it is only accessible by boat or Plane, with no access roads from the mainland. Roads have been talked about for years but as yet none have even begun construction.
- In a nutshell:another inside passage town - be it the capital of Alaska
Juneau is one of the many towns through the inside passage of Alaska where wandering the streets (or going walkabout) is... more travel advice
skatzcatz's Related Pages
Juneau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Independent Traveler's Guide to Juneau"
- "Juneau in Summer"
- "Juneau - Home of the Mendenhall Glacier."
- "Alaska Cruise - Juneau First Port Of Call"
- "Big State, Little Capitol"
- "Cruise Stop: Juneau"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Juneau
- Hotels in Juneau
- Transportation in Juneau
- Nightlife in Juneau
- Restaurants in Juneau
- Shopping in Juneau
- Warnings and Dangers in Juneau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Juneau
- 3 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Juneau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Juneau
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 139 reviews, 225 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 16 reviews, 142 photos, 10 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 20 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Singapore 13 reviews, 105 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rabaul Intro, 12 reviews, 101 photos, 7 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 7 reviews, 75 photos, 7 travelogues
- Kokoda Intro, 3 reviews, 68 photos, 7 travelogues
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 6 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Gozo 8 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues