"San Miguel de Tucuman, Argentina" San Miguel de Tucumán by jalonline
San Miguel de Tucumán Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 112 photos
San Miguel de Tucuman is the capital city of the Tucuman province, in the Northwest region of Argentina.
With a population of 550,000 inhabitants (800,000 in the metro area), it's the most important commercial, cultural and educational center in the North of the country.
The city waas founded by Captain Diego de Villarroel under the command of his uncle Governor Francisco de Aguirre. The foundation took place on May 31st, 1565, in a place called Ibatín on the banks of El Tejar Creek, in the current Monteros Department. However, this location was not the best one as its inhabitants were constantly suffering from floods, epidemic diseases caused by those floods and attacks from the Diaguitas indians. Consequently, the town needed a new location, and after King Charles II from Spain gave his authorization, it was moved to its present site by the Salí River, further north. The new settlement took place between September 24 and 29, 1685, under the rule of Governor Fernando Mate de Luna and this latter date remained the city’s official anniversary.
This part of the city and its surrounding area concentrate many of the most important historic buildings, government premises and institutions.
Maybe the most important historic building in the city since Argentina's Independence was declared here on July 9, 1816. The facade and other areas were rebuilt in 1941, the independence hall being the only original part that remained intact.
For more information, check the website.
The oldest church in town, its construction dates back to the XVI Century. However, the current basilica was built... more travel advice
One of the most important museums in the city showcasing different exhibitions during the year more travel advice
jalonline's Related Pages
San Miguel de Tucumán Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Miguel de Tucuman, Argentina"
- "Tucuman - the perfect place for siesta"
- "San Miguel de Tucumán"
- " San Miguel de Tucumán "
- "NW Argentina, LOVE IT!!"
- "Fun in Tucuman"
- "Tucuman...history...or tango?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Miguel de Tucumán
- Hotels in San Miguel de Tucumán
- Transportation in San Miguel de Tucumán
- Nightlife in San Miguel de Tucumán
- Restaurants in San Miguel de Tucumán
- Warnings and Dangers in San Miguel de Tucumán
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in San Miguel de Tucumán
- 50 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to San Miguel de Tucumán?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Miguel de Tucumán
Photos in San Miguel de TucumánSee All Photos (66)
Top 10 Pages
- San Miguel de Tucumán Intro, 50 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rio de Janeiro 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tafí del Valle Intro, 6 reviews, 29 photos, 3 travelogues
- Provincia de Tucumán Intro, 16 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Argentina Intro, 30 photos, 4 travelogues
- Mendoza Intro, 30 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rosario Intro, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Amaichá del Valle Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos
- Mar del Plata 18 photos, 3 travelogues
- Caracas 16 photos, 2 travelogues