Sonoma Favorite Tips by sue_stone
Sonoma Favorites: 9 reviews and 5 photos
Favorite thing: Sonoma Valley is filled with wineries which are mostly open to the public for wine tasting and sales. For some of the wineries you do need to book ahead, but there are plenty that you can just arrive at and taste (and purchase) their latest vintages.
Most of the wine tasting I had done prior to my visit to California was in Australia, and over there you pretty much just turn up and taste for free. But in the Sonoma Valley it seems most wineries charge for a tasting - you pay a set price for a set number of small tastes.
I actually didn't mind the fee for tasting as I felt this helped to alleviate the feeling that you should buy something after tasting for free. And better still, some of the wineries will waive the tasting fee if you buy a bottle or two.
Fondest memory: For the wine novice, some of the wineries offer tours. These will get you out in the vineyards and also teach you about the wine making process, finishing in the cellar for a peek at the final product.
Some of the wineries have picnic areas, so after your tasting you can sample one of your purchases, enjoyed with perhaps some cheese and biscuits, also purchased from the winery, or other food you have bought with you.
More Reviews (6)
sue_stone's Related Pages
Sonoma Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sonoma - Heart of the Wine Country"
- "Sonoma is Fine Even Without the Wine"
- "SONOMA. THE VALLEY OF THE MOON"
- "Sonoma Valley Bubblegum Blues"
- "Moon full of wine!"
- "Sonoma Valley"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sonoma
- Hotels in Sonoma
- Transportation in Sonoma
- Nightlife in Sonoma
- Restaurants in Sonoma
- Shopping in Sonoma
- Warnings and Dangers in Sonoma
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sonoma
- 7 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (87)
Have you been to Sonoma?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sonoma
Photos in SonomaSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 383 reviews, 1200 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 83 reviews, 274 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barcelona Intro, 61 reviews, 245 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 61 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 200 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 47 reviews, 192 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 52 reviews, 178 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 33 reviews, 184 photos, 6 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 36 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sonoma Town Center- 4 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Sonoma Mission- 7 Reviews, 24 Photos
- Downtown- 1 Review, 5 Photos
- Toscano Hotel- 3 Reviews, 4 Photos
- Nicholson Ranch Winery- 1 Review, 3 Photos
- Viansa Winery- 2 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Sonoma State Hiatoric Park- 3 Reviews, 6 Photos
- Lachryma Montis- 2 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Sonoma Plaza- 1 Review, 2 Photos
- Sebiastiani Theater- 2 Reviews, 4 Photos
See All Sonoma Things to Do