"Carmel-by-the-Sea" Carmel-by-the-Sea by sue_stone

Carmel-by-the-Sea Travel Guide: 378 reviews and 1,055 photos

We stayed in Carmel-by-the-Sea for two nights as I liked the sound of the town, and it seemed like a convenient place from which to explore the Big Sur region.

Carmel is a pretty, European feeling town, which is filled with good restaurants, upmarket shops and galleries. There is a sandy beach too. It was a lovely place to visit and I got the feeling it would be a nice place to retire to as well, if you lived in that part of the world.

• Last visit to Carmel-by-the-Sea: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Nov 7, 2008

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2009 at 6:53 AM

It's always a good idea to do some research on chocolate wherever you go ;-) All my trips to California and I've still never made it to this area...

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2008 at 8:45 AM

Carmel is a very pleasant town with cute houses. That's where Clint Eastwood used to be the maire, isn't it?! My uncle once drove me there but in those times my camera played up and I have no photos.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Another lovely little page Sue. Your accommodation sounds good and as always you seem to have tracked down some great restaurants ;-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2008 at 3:47 AM

Sounds like you found a very nice place to stay for those two nights. I used to live in Berkeley, but I was working and didn't get down to the Big Sur area very often.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2008 at 7:06 AM

I agree, it is always a good idea to travel to place just because one likes its name. :-)

• nhcram's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2008 at 2:52 AM

Sue, what a lovely page. This place looks so pretty and unspoilt. The chocolate honeycomb sounds good too!

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2008 at 10:07 AM

Carmel is a great little town. Your page brought back some pleasant memories of our vist there a few years ago.

Badges & Stats in Carmel-by-the-Sea

Have you been to Carmel-by-the-Sea?

Latest Activity in Carmel-by-the-Sea