Lausanne Favorite Tips by sue_stone Top 5 Page for this destination
Lausanne Favorites: 20 reviews and 21 photos
Favorite thing: Ouchy was once a pretty lakeside fishing village before the city of Lausanne engulfed it in the mid-19th century. It is still a nice area to visit, with a very different feel to the centre of Lausanne - more lakeside resort than historic centre. It is an affluent area, with some expensive restaurants and nice hotels with lovely views of the lake and the distant alps.
By the lake you can't help but notice the impressive Castle of Ouchy. It was built back in 1170, but has had many reincarnations since then. These days it is used as a hotel, though it was being completely renovated during our visit.
Fondest memory: There is a wide promenade along the lake edge which is perfect for a stroll. We did so at sunset on a warm summers evening, taking advantage of the cooler temperature, and the flattering light for some snap shots.
Along the way you will see the tourist office, some fountains, a statue or two, and plenty of those pedalo boats to hire. Some of the pedalos even had slippery slides on the back - haven't seen those before.
Ouchy is also home to the Olympic Museum.
More Reviews (14)
sue_stone's Related Pages
Lausanne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lausanne – the City With Many Faces"
- "Lausanne- Medieval Charm"
- "Lausanne, old streets and lake side charms"
- "Lausanne on Lake Geneva"
- "Inferno Festival on a quiet town"
- "Lausanne et moi :)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lausanne
- Hotels in Lausanne
- Transportation in Lausanne
- Nightlife in Lausanne
- Restaurants in Lausanne
- Shopping in Lausanne
- Warnings and Dangers in Lausanne
- See All...
Explore the World
- Achriesgill Hotels
- Kingsborough Hotels
- Dhavlos Hotels
- Wooler Hotels
- Black River Falls
Badges & Stats in Lausanne
- 15 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (72)
Have you been to Lausanne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lausanne
Photos in LausanneSee All Photos (81)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 383 reviews, 1200 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 83 reviews, 274 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barcelona Intro, 61 reviews, 245 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 61 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 200 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 47 reviews, 192 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 52 reviews, 178 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 33 reviews, 184 photos, 6 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 36 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
Latest Lausanne hotel reviews
- Hotel De L'ours
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 31, 2009
- Residence du Port Lausanne
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hotel Jeunotel
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2013
- Hotel Albatros Navigation Lausanne
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 9, 2010
- Lausanne Guesthouse
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 17, 2013
- Hotel Regina
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Mirabeau
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 26, 2013
- Continental Swiss Q Hotel
- 169 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Youth Hostel Lausanne
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2013
- Lausanne Palace & Spa
- 127 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- Ibis Lausanne Crissier
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2013
- Best Western Hotel De la Paix
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Alpha Palmiers Hotel
- 196 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Cathedrale Notre Dame- 15 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Olympic Museum- 13 Reviews, 24 Photos
- Place de la Palud- 8 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Ouchy- 9 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Chateau St. Maire- 5 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Collection de l'Art Brut- 8 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Le Parc Olympique- 4 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Old Town- 4 Reviews, 6 Photos
- Eglise St-Francois- 4 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Palais de Rumine- 3 Reviews, 8 Photos
See All Lausanne Things to Do