"Historic Battle" Top 5 Page for this destination Battle by sue_stone

Battle Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 136 photos

Battle, located in East Sussex, gets its name from the Battle of Hastings on 1066. Today is attracts history buffs keen to visit the Abbey and learn more about the great battle that changed the course of English history.

We stopped by Battle very briefly and unfortunately did not have the time to visit the Abbey, instead we had to make do with a look at the outside of the Abbey Gatehouse, and then some lunch in one of the nearby pubs.

• Last visit to Battle: Aug 2007
  • Intro Written Oct 20, 2007

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2008 at 10:14 AM

foodie tips take prime place again!How are u Sue?all ready forChristmas!?Went to the B of Hastings anniversary to see the xlnt Abbey&battle reenactmt then parade in the town-which was mostly witches,skeletons& monster wierdo things which didnt impress me!

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2007 at 10:25 AM

Another good spot to add to the list, I may need to come to London 3 times next year ha ha

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2007 at 3:08 AM

We've never tried Ye Olde Kings Head on our regular visits to Battle, and now I think we never will ;)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2007 at 1:29 PM

It really looks like you are nowadays travelling because of the pubs and not because of the sights. However I like the description "just the sort of place you want to stop for a pint when exploring historic English towns." .... :o)

• alucas's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2007 at 8:10 AM

I see, travelling too fast to stop again ;-)

• Oct 20, 2007 at 6:01 AM

Yeah yeah I got the hint ;-) I am surprised though - I thought you would go to The Pilgrims Rest - no cheap battered cod there! You have to eat there next time you are down this way - and we can MEET UP!!! ;-))

Badges & Stats in Battle