"Henley-on-Thames" Henley on Thames by sue_stone

Henley on Thames Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 64 photos

I had wanted to go to Henley for a while, after an old work colleague had raved about the place. He had said that this historic riverside market town was his favourite place to go to have lunch by the river. That sounded prefect to me, so one day, when my mother-in-law was visiting, we headed up to Henley in the hope of having a nice lunch with river views.

Hmmmm....the weather certainly wasn't on our side. As we headed the 30 or so miles up from London, the clouds rolled in and the rain came down. We found a park in the town centre and braved the weather, walking down to the river. I must admit to being disappointed. I had visions of a riverside promenade, lined with historic pubs. Instead we saw a couple of pubs that looked like they were closed, and not much else.

In the end we ended up eating in a restaurant back in the centre of town. Perhaps I need to return to Henley on a warm, sunny day and see if it lives up to its reputation. Maybe next time I will visit during the Henley Royal Regatta - a rowing event that has been going since 1839.

Last visit to Henley was in June 2008 to have lunch at a lovely old pub called the Crown Inn in a little village called Pishill, 6 miles out of Henley - see my restaurant tip for full details.

• Last visit to Henley on Thames: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Jun 14, 2008

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2009 at 12:28 AM

This is a secret congratulation. I hope you are doing as well as I did last week. *winkywonkygrin*

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2007 at 4:53 AM

What a shame you weren't able to make more of Henley. Pick a fine day during the Regatta and you'll see an entirely different place. Arriving there myself this week - I think I should take out the sandals and pack wellies instead this year! leyle

• Jun 19, 2007 at 10:25 AM

Sunshine just makes all the difference doesn't it?? Never been to Henley (not as far as I can remember anyway! ;))

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2007 at 2:11 AM

Yummy :))

Badges & Stats in Henley on Thames

Have you been to Henley on Thames?