"Rye - East Sussex Gem" Top 5 Page for this destination Rye by sue_stone

Rye Travel Guide: 89 reviews and 240 photos

Rye is a lovely medieval town located in East Sussex. It was once a Cinque Port, located on the sea, but the shoreline has retreated over the years and can now only be spotted in the distance from the top of the St Mary's Church tower.

One of the top tourist draws in the area, Rye is filled with gorgeous cobbled streets and half-timbered buildings, making it a must see if you are in the area.

We stayed for just one night in Rye, enjoyed a wander around the old streets, admired the view over the town from atop the aforementioned tower, and had a very good meal in a local restaurant.

• Last visit to Rye: Aug 2007
  • Intro Written Oct 20, 2007

• Jul 23, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Miss Simon the Pieman Dabs! A tourist con. Fish Pie - terrible; Pies mediocre. Ghastly oven chips and tinned peas. All vastly overpriced; Followed by "we only take cash sir"! Luckily I had £50 on me; No manager to complain to; Simply Terrible!

• Nov 16, 2009 at 8:33 AM

Off course Pork Pies are cold! Do you eat icecream hot?

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2007 at 10:19 AM

Too bad about Simon the Pieman, I love the name! Will have to put Rye on my list of things to do when I return to London...

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2007 at 10:02 AM

Staying a night in a windmil B&B sounds like something especially if ya get a full blown English Breakfast then a nice long stroll along the beach. Dedication is all I can say for climbing up a church tower for a panorama piccy! :-)

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2007 at 10:52 AM

Good on you for doing this page, we have been three times now and yet to do one! Apparently Mermaid Street is the oldest street in England...?

• Oct 22, 2007 at 3:32 AM

Congrats ;-)

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2007 at 9:44 AM

Rye was a favourite of ours in our English days - tho' I wish we'd found your Windmill B&B instead of sharing our bed at the town's most famous inn with some bloodthirsty microfauna!! leyle

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2007 at 8:30 AM

Awesome new page. Rye looks like a real English gem. I like the look of the Mermaid Street. It must have been a fab experience to stay in a windmill, hasn't it? I guess you opted for the large breakfast didn't you?

• alucas's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2007 at 8:04 AM

Nice new page - I remember going to Rye about 20 years ago - perhaps it's time we went back. BTW, you've even started me looking for wonky gravestones !

• craic's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2007 at 6:11 AM

there's lamb house - what a hotbed of creativity it was

Badges & Stats in Rye