"Winchelsea" Winchelsea by sue_stone

Winchelsea Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 22 photos

Winchelsea is a small town located 2 miles west of Rye, in East Sussex. In fact, it claims to be the smallest town in England.

It was originally located on the coast, and was made into a fortified town in the 13th century to protect against French invaders. You can still see the medieval Strand Gate, which you will pass through (if coming from Rye) on your way into town.

We stopped off for a brief visit, enjoyed the peaceful church yard, and the public conveniences ; )

• Last visit to Winchelsea: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Oct 20, 2007

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2007 at 10:21 AM

And I guess I will have to go to Rye with a car so I can see this as well :-)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2007 at 3:13 AM

We've been to Winchelsea several times and always enjoy wandering through the churchyard, but I never knew Spike Milligan was buried there - now we HAVE to go back again!

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2007 at 10:36 AM

Spike Milligan was one of my heroes, and even his final epitaph that he wanted on his gravestone was contested. He wrote some great poems too. Look fwd to more of yr Essex tips and pics...:-)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2007 at 2:12 AM

Brilliant photos of the smallest town in England. Interesting info as well, although I had to ask Wikipedia about Spike Milligan, but now I know who he is. So there is always something new to learn when reading VT pages. Keep up the good work. :o)

• Oct 20, 2007 at 6:06 AM

Lovely photos of the church - so you didn't find the grave stone either? I've looked for it twice and no luck - can't be that hard as it's inscribed in Gaelic! - I shall have to go back for another look!

Badges & Stats in Winchelsea

Have you been to Winchelsea?

Latest Activity in Winchelsea