"Reykjavik - Northern Gem" Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík by sue_stone

Reykjavík Travel Guide: 977 reviews and 3,256 photos

Reykjavik is a small and compact city, in a beautiful setting - surrounded by sea and mountains. Its residents are friendly and it is very clean and feels very safe.

Go to the top of the phallic looking Hallgrimskirkja Church for fabulous views across this pretty capital, which is the perfect base to explore this amazing country.

For full details of our (much too short) trip, please visit my Iceland page travelogue to read a full trip report, written by my husband Alex.

For my travel tips on the rest of the country (well the small part we visited), visit my Iceland Page

Oh - and you should really put Iceland on your wish list - you won't be disappointed!

• In a nutshell:The most Northerly Capital in Europe!
  • Last visit to Reykjavík: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 11, 2006

• Aug 16, 2008 at 9:53 AM

I would avoid Cafe Oliver, the food was horrific. The restaurant was busy while we were there and the staff would walk past us as if we didn't exist. The food was good but nothing special.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Hi Sue. Fantastic pictures from Jökulsárlón. No matter how many times I visit it is always like I enter another world, you were lucky that you got sunny weather there which makes the pictures just fab. Regína

• K.Knight's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2008 at 6:14 AM

Hi Sue, Thanks for sharing an interesting page on Reykjavik. I especially like the The Suncraft, it looks amazing. Great photos. Thanks.

• Apr 20, 2008 at 6:00 AM

be aware if you are coming from the states that many cold and flu tablets are illegal here. Don´t want to be taken in customs with importing illegal drugs. You can only take drugs that are prescribed to you from a doctor.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2008 at 10:18 AM

I really enjoyed your Reykjavik Page...Id really like to spend time in Iceland...Im not sure where the idea came from...but with pages like YOUR'S its easy to see WHY!!It all looks pretty interesting!

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Great Reykjavik Page! Especially like the opening picture.

• Lorelle1313's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Was it really cold there? Ddi they speak Viking? It looks sooo cool there!

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2008 at 2:30 AM

Your Reykjavik page helped me a lot with my travel plans there. Thanks. Greetings.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2007 at 3:55 AM

Wonderful Reykjavik tips, Sue! Just researching for my New Year's trip there. At those prices, I expect we'll be having a pretty sober New Year's Eve! ;-) Can't wait to visit the Blue Lagoon, it's long been on my must see list! Cheers, Jonathan.

• NatInTO's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2007 at 12:08 PM

I absolutely agree! I went there in March and even despite the cloudy weather and Easter snow like the Icelanders call it, it was still a beautiful place. Worth getting the tourist card to ride the city buses and go to advantage points in the city

Badges & Stats in Reykjavík

Have you been to Reykjavík?

Latest Activity in Reykjavík